U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 07:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 5,661,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Here's a picture of a leaf...and the seeds that f%&$ up the grass every fall.....literally thousands of these things fall down below.....

That looks like Beech leaf and seed pods. Beeches don't grow in my location so I'm not 'personally' familiar with them and their habits. But I believe there are at least 5 or 6 varieties of Beech, and I know that all Beeches have quite a high content of tannin in the leaves, roots and seeds. Too much tannin and acidic leaf litter on grass can effect grass and grass roots. You've already gotten some good advice about what to do with your grass, and I'll suggest that you sprinkle some lime onto the effected areas on the ground within and just outside of the drip line of the Beech tree.

Edited to add - Beeches are drippy trees. Here is a list of drippy trees:

Beech
Birch
Elm
Grape
Horse chestnut / buckeye
Linden
Maple
Mulberry
Oak
Poplar
Rhododendron
Walnut

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-13-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 06:09 AM

4,668 posts, read 8,350,160 times
OP - I'm beginning to believe your thread title...

It almost doesn't matter what tree you have, as long as it isn't an allelopathic (plant that kills other plants) tree like Black Walnut. However, if the tree is a beech:

Quote:
It also casts dense shade and has an extensive network of shallow, fibrous surface roots that make gardening underneath it almost impossible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fagus_grandifolia

Gardening underneath the tree is "almost impossible" because the beech loves water and will suck up water that even shady grass needs to grow. If you have an irrigation system, you may be able to ameliorate the problem.

What type of grass did you sow and do you have an irrigation system? After all, you DID ask about GRASS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or