U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 08:18 PM

333 posts, read 180,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
OP - this isn't an answer to your question, but just a little pre-caution to you about potential chemical burns from resiniferatoxin, in the event that you do try to handle and cultivate resin spurge. Handle with caution:

https://www.thoughtco.com/hottest-ch...atoxin-3975976

" ..... The hottest hot pepper is no match for the spicy heat of the resin spurge Euphorbia resinifera, a cactus-like plant native to Morocco. The resin spurge produces a chemical called resiniferatoxin or RTX, which is a thousand times hotter on the Scoville scale than pure capsaicin, the chemical that produces heat in hot peppers. Law enforcement-grade pepper spray and the hottest hot pepper, the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, both pack a punch of about 1.6 million Scoville heat units.

Pure capsaicin comes in at 16 million Scoville units, while pure resiniferatoxin has 16 billion Scoville heat units.

Both the capsaicin from hot peppers and the resiniferatoxin from the Euphorbia can give you chemical burns or even kill you......."

I didn't know this, thank you for this information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM

333 posts, read 180,519 times
To the member who just anonymously rep commented to me: I'm going to address your comments here and contribute to the thread on your behalf.

My Santa Rita cactus doesn't have 'cochineal', it's damaged in a manner that is like stretch marks to human skin...as if it took up too much water too fast and the skin split and the white is scar tissue. It's like the cells are damaged, but intact, if that makes sense. The cochineal looks like tiny cotton balls, I found it once in my yard on a volunteer seedling prickly pear and shovel pruned that plant. I haven't seen any signs of cochineal since.

As far as me buying the jumping cactus, what I bought is a variety named "Golden Lion" (Cholla Cylindropuntia davisii x kleiniae 'Golden Lion'). The jumping cactus is Cylindropuntia fulgida. Regardless, I'm not placing Golden Lion near any walkways, so all will be well should it tend towards weak stems that detach easily like the jumping cactus. I obviously don't intend on removing it as you say I will (otherwise I wouldn't plant it in the first place), but thank you for the alert, and perhaps it will benefit other readers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or