Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times

Advertisements

When should peony bush be planted in Central Texas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 02:09 PM

We are in Hardiness Zone 8b---College Station, TX.

We just bought our house, and I'm a complete novice at gardening. I would like to plant some peony bushes, because I remember them from my childhood home, which was in Michigan. I don't know if peony bushes even grow here. As I recall, we never planted the peony bushes, they were just there and came up every Spring, about June. We had a red one, which came up first, followed by a pink, then a white one.

Any advice how to duplicate those childhood memories here in Texas?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 PM

712 posts, read 554,392 times
Far away from your house, they attract ants

Old 04-11-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Far away from your house, they attract ants
You've got that right! I remember as a kid, they had ants on the bulbs!

Our red bush always came in first, it was shorter than the pink and white. The flowers always bloomed in the exact same pattern every year. It was low and close to the ground. Our cat loved to lay under it, nice, cool shade and a good hiding place. Lets see, perhaps add a cat to the garden so they bloom well?

Old 04-11-2018, 06:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
When should peony bush be planted in Central Texas?

Apparently the best time to plant new peonies straight into the ground in your location would be next autumn so the bulbs will get established and get the cool chill they need over next winter to get set to grow. Then they will sprout and grow in the following spring (2019) and produce their first blooms the same year.

If you've just recently moved into your new property that time frame is good for you since it will give you the chance all this coming spring and summer to first of all discover what kinds of other plants are already established on your new property. It will also give you time to study up on peonies' needs and determine what will be the best locations on your property to put peonies where they'll have the most appropriate growing conditions they will need next spring of summer (2019) to get very well established.

Check out some of these sites with more information: https://www.bing.com/search?q=peonie...aa9b5162c560f5

Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Apparently the best time to plant new peonies straight into the ground in your location would be next autumn so the bulbs will get established and get the cool chill they need over next winter to get set to grow. Then they will sprout and grow in the following spring (2019) and produce their first blooms the same year.

If you've just recently moved into your new property that time frame is good for you since it will give you the chance all this coming spring and summer to first of all discover what kinds of other plants are already established on your new property. It will also give you time to study up on peonies' needs and determine what will be the best locations on your property to put peonies where they'll have the most appropriate growing conditions they will need next spring of summer (2019) to get very well established.

Check out some of these sites with more information: https://www.bing.com/search?q=peonie...aa9b5162c560f5

Thanks! A good suggestion---wait and see what else is already planted and comes up! I suppose they would take awhile for the bulbs to root and the bush to grow. I just remember as a child peony bushes just growing in our backyard. My parents said they were just there when they moved in, guess the previous owners planted them. The bushes never required any tending, no fertilizer, mulch, etc, we just let nature handle it.They always came up and bloomed the same time every year, and in the same color and growth pattern. The red one always bloomed first.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Thanks! A good suggestion---wait and see what else is already planted and comes up! I suppose they would take awhile for the bulbs to root and the bush to grow. I just remember as a child peony bushes just growing in our backyard. My parents said they were just there when they moved in, guess the previous owners planted them. The bushes never required any tending, no fertilizer, mulch, etc, we just let nature handle it.They always came up and bloomed the same time every year, and in the same color and growth pattern. The red one always bloomed first.
Just remember, that was in Michigan in a colder climate and different soil. Now you are in Texas with a different climate and soil conditions so you are not going to be able to just neglect them and let nature handle it, you will have to give them care and attention if you expect them to survive where you are now. So do study up on the different types of peonies and the best climates and soil conditions and care needed for various types of peonies so that you will be able to wisely choose the types of peonies that will adapt best to your conditions.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
I have never seen peonies in Texas. I suspect either they can't handle the summer heat or that they need a cold winter. You may find a way to make them work but I suspect you will be disappointed.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
As far as the ants, if I understand it correctly the ants and the flowers have some kind of a symbiotic relationship, and I believe the ants are not going to leave the flowers and invade your house.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:18 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
I was surprised to see that they could be grown in Texas. I'm from Minnesota and have always has peonies around. Either at parents or grandparents, great grandparents and now my house, all from the same plant stock. One of my grandparents yard had them growing as a low shrub that divided his and neighbors yard. I lived in Texas, DFW area for 7 years and never saw any.

I would suspect that the old fashioned peonies would do better and be hardier. I would not get one of the fancy lacey leafed ones, they are not as hardy or as vigorous growing as the old fashioned ones. I would also plant two in slightly different spots to see where they did best. I would think more of a morning sun or partial shade would give them some relief to the strong sun in Texas.

I've heard some northern transplants complain their adored hostas can't make it in the southern states, I figured it was the same true with peonies.

Definitely follow the directions in the link that zoisite posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden