U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 AM

1,531 posts, read 931,757 times

Advertisements

aloha...live in hawai'i with 3 distinct growing seasons, full acre of gardens, raised beds, tiered walls...been here ten years, been gardening for over 50 years, i think i know what i'm doing...

...the reader's digest version...

...i did some remodeling of the house four months ago, put a room downstairs and relocated the router down into my basement. i keep most of my seeds, seedlings, clones etc. in the basement but they're way on the other side of the room...all my seeds are heirloom or seeds from my own crop.

...in the past three months i've put in broc, bush beans and cukes..items i grow year in year out without issue...well, not one seed germinated, not one!...i was baffled.

...someone at the local market, thought it may be the fact that i have the router downstairs...started talking about emf?..imf?..emp?..i don't know anything about that but it got me to thinking, i couldn't find much about how these router's affect seeds but holy cripes, they sure ain't good for humans...wondering if it is the cause of my dilemma?

Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 AM

62,741 posts, read 45,138,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
aloha...live in hawai'i with 3 distinct growing seasons, full acre of gardens, raised beds, tiered walls...been here ten years, been gardening for over 50 years, i think i know what i'm doing...

...the reader's digest version...

...i did some remodeling of the house four months ago, put a room downstairs and relocated the router down into my basement. i keep most of my seeds, seedlings, clones etc. in the basement but they're way on the other side of the room...all my seeds are heirloom or seeds from my own crop.

...in the past three months i've put in broc, bush beans and cukes..items i grow year in year out without issue...well, not one seed germinated, not one!...i was baffled.

...someone at the local market, thought it may be the fact that i have the router downstairs...started talking about emf?..imf?..emp?..i don't know anything about that but it got me to thinking, i couldn't find much about how these router's affect seeds but holy cripes, they sure ain't good for humans...wondering if it is the cause of my dilemma?

Yes, EMF. New digital smart meters emit certain radiation. The power companies claim its not enough to do us harm but some folks experience headaches. That's for another forum. I will say... I store my seeds in a room where the router is AND where the Electric meter is right outside the window and I never had a problem. So I DOUBT that's the reason! Your router is NOT the reason.

Think back hard... how was the weather in that room since doing the renovation? Warmer? more humid?

I am going to lean on the soil being the reason, not the seeds. But wait... "Past 3 Months"?? You been sowing for past 3 months without germination or waiting for germination?

Try buying (or creating) new starter soil and reseed. See if they come up.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:03 PM

thanks for your input...first thing i did was have the soil tested..like i said, been doin' this for over 50 years...have reseeded the same batch of seeds with no germination...

thanks

Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 PM

3,101 posts, read 1,728,866 times
I've seen reports that "claim" newer routers will " radiate" us to death in the future (slowly "nuke" us). And to not sleep where your router is. I don't know how much truth there is. We do know microwave ovens have low radiation, but you know a warm kitchen will make onions and potatoes grow sprouts!

Could be the router, I would not keep the seeds in the same room, on the other side or not.

Buy new,seeds, keep elsewhere for next year. If the same thing happens, something else may cause your seeds to not germinate.

We also know that seeds loose their germination "ability" the older they GET, unless like hermetically sealed in cold storage. So how old are your seeds?

Were they seeds from last year's garden, I didn't see that clearly stated. If so, they may just have had the wherewithall to germinate.

Good luck.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 PM

..last years seeds...kept in airtight container's..i'm lost

thanks for your input

Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 PM

15,721 posts, read 19,162,719 times
Weird. Did you plant the seeds directly in the soil outside? Start them in peat pots? Could there be some kind of bacteria in the soil? Bugs or birds eating the seeds?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:19 AM

607 posts, read 152,467 times
Brainstorming.

1. How about if it wasn't so much the router as the months of remodeling before the router went down there...or even with it down there. Did someone move something, leave something too cold or too hot or....something to do with products used, heater, any odd modern tools....

2. How about the differences between the side you used to store them and the side you moved them to.

Are the basement walls or floor or ceiling and their coverings/paint on that side of the house different than where you usually had the seeds?

Are there openings or cracks or holes in that area you had the seeds...or joints not meeting as opposed to the side where they turned out okay?

Is the outside on that side of the house different including the soil around and under.

3. Also, you say you keep most seeds in the basement. The seeds you didn't keep in the basement...did they do as well as they did in previous years?

Old 04-17-2018, 12:15 PM

5,424 posts, read 5,421,504 times
justus978 - If you did remodeling in the basement where the seeds were kept - is there any chance that something installed in the basement is off-gassing toxins that aren't noticeable to you but may be effecting seeds and plants? Did you start your seeds in the basement or did you start the seeds directly in the soil outside? Do you have living plants in the basement at this time? If so, how are they doing?

Or, perhaps you need to look for common denominators that other island people are experiencing, such as possible climate, barometric, temperature and environmental changes on the Islands that might account for unexplained anomalies. I'll suggest that you post a topic in the Hawaii forum asking if any other long term resident gardeners there have been experiencing unusual problems, delays, set backs and other anomalies with their gardening efforts during the past year.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
justus978 - If you did remodeling in the basement where the seeds were kept - is there any chance that something installed in the basement is off-gassing toxins that aren't noticeable to you but may be effecting seeds and plants? Did you start your seeds in the basement or did you start the seeds directly in the soil outside? Do you have living plants in the basement at this time? If so, how are they doing?

Or, perhaps you need to look for common denominators that other island people are experiencing, such as possible climate, barometric, temperature and environmental changes on the Islands that might account for unexplained anomalies. I'll suggest that you post a topic in the Hawaii forum asking if any other long term resident gardeners there have been experiencing unusual problems, delays, set backs and other anomalies with their gardening efforts during the past year.

hey zoi, thanks!...you might be on to something i overlooked...the off gassing of all the new walls/sheet rock/pergo floor etc. that i put in......i put a new sauna in that recommended running it for 10 hours to to 'burn off the newness'...hmm, need to research this a bit more

...i have moved everything 'garden' from my basement...segregated the seeds i think are bad from the the new batch...i'll start from scratch and see what happens..

thanks for your input!

Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
i couldn't find much about how these router's affect seeds but holy cripes, they sure ain't good for humans...wondering if it is the cause of my dilemma?

I've started seeds on the kitchen counter right next to my router. No effect on them, they sprouted fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden