U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a lawn where you live?
I have a lawn and take care of it myself 44 52.38%
I have a lawn but have someone else take care of it 12 14.29%
I have a lawn but its not mine 1 1.19%
I have a lawn and don't care about it other than mowing it 16 19.05%
I don't have a lawn 11 13.10%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 AM

4,522 posts, read 6,891,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We have a tiny lawn in the front and a tiny lawn in the back. Maybe 350 square feet total.
About the same, just enough to frame the entrance walk and have a place for a couple of Adirondack chairs to look over the canyon with drinks at the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 12:15 AM

2,698 posts, read 3,067,942 times
I didn't answer because none applied.

I have a yard. We grow flowers, vegetables, fruit, and some plants.

Grass? We mow what is there, but we do not tend it or do things to keep it green. There are dandelions and clovers.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 AM

11 posts, read 3,631 times
i specifically bought this house because it had no lawn, it was the biggest selling point as i used to live in Bergen County NJ and was the only person on the block who didn't have a weekly visit from the landscaper AND a neighbor complained to the borough health dept. her allergies were being exacerbated by my weed infested lawn..... i don't believe in perfectly manicured lawns, it's abnormal but that's my personal opinion and i'm sticking to it..... i hate insecticides, bad for the environment, i love dandy-lions!!! so bright and cheerful. so yeah, this wasn't the best house to buy, up a long hill, a driveway the size of Idaho, way way back into a deeply wooded lot where the tree limbs fall so much on my house, I finally walled up the sky light. I live under a kajillion trees, and here in North Narrowlina that means tree pollen that can kill a small cat..... but i love my tree-filled-to-the brim property, i even put little doors at the base of many, so the wee folk can come and go easily

Old 04-18-2018, 01:00 AM

35,121 posts, read 36,936,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. I would put that under "I have a lawn and don't care about it other than mowing it".. Unless you don't mow it? Then I forgot to add an option. lol
Actually I don't mow it, I pay someone to do that.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:47 AM

63,581 posts, read 45,928,731 times
Thanks for the replies and votes.. Interesting and fun to read..

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I didn't answer because none applied.

I have a yard. We grow flowers, vegetables, fruit, and some plants.

Grass? We mow what is there, but we do not tend it or do things to keep it green. There are dandelions and clovers.

That would be under "I have a lawn and don't care about it other than mowing it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Actually I don't mow it, I pay someone to do that.
That would be under "I have a lawn but have someone else take care of it"

Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 AM

8,276 posts, read 3,544,551 times
I have the standard lot for my area: 80'x125'. I bought this house last August and it's mostly weeds right now. Not sure I even see anything resembling grass. But after living in condos for 5 years, it is nice to have my own patch of land. I cut the lawn with a push mower but this time of year we don't have to cut it often because it's our dry season.

I've planted a small Oleander tree, Desert Rose, Milkweed, a small Hibiscus tree, Bromeliads, a small Palm, lots of Lirope and annuals. Next step: shade trees for the back yard which has a Southern exposure and gets sun all day long.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 AM

3,202 posts, read 1,810,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We have 3/4 acre of weeds and clover.
Does that count?
Same here, only a 1/4 acres.

At least the weeds stay green, the neighbors lawn, which he fusses over, is all brown and "dead" during the heat of summer.

Ours is green most all the time.

Lol.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:03 AM

812 posts, read 472,084 times
I grew up having to mow the lawn as a kid, and it has instilled in me a hatred of lawns in general. Now living in a very dense city neighborhood with no grass in sight anywhere, it's blissful. I don't need to own a mower, don't need to buy gas or fix it when it's broken, and no spending an hour in the hot summer sun mowing it every week.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 AM
Status: "it's no more unusual to be born twice than to be born once" (set 6 days ago)

20,197 posts, read 19,956,547 times
I have a little under 2 acres of lawn to mow and do so with a rider with a bagging system. Takes me about 4 to 5 hours to mow depending on how long I wait between mowings.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 PM

407 posts, read 164,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I voted "I have a lawn but have someone else take care of it". I mow it, but I have a local landscaping company who handles weed control, aeration and feeding.
Same here but I voted that I take care of it. The lawn treatment service costs me no more than if I bought the fertilizer myself and applied it. I have about an acre on which I use a zero turn lawn mower. I enjoy working in the yard and on the lawn. I like the lush, green grass and park-like environment. I am particular about edging and neatness. Although I understand the idea of being all natural and anti-chemicals I find that I must use some to maintain my property and I am careful about it. I also have a sf vegetable garden in a 4x8 raised bed and several flower and ornamental shrub beds. We have oak, beech, maple and pine trees. I find that a beautiful lawn and yard brings harmony to my busy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or