U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:47 PM

32,613 posts, read 40,927,862 times

Advertisements

I have one Knockout rose bush in the front yard. It is just starting to bloom. Today, I noticed that some of the buds had been bitten off, while others remained untouched. I have never seen a deer in my yard, although Iím sure they are around. Wouldnít a deer have munched ALL the buds?

This one rose bush is among other plants in bloom and budding, but none of those were touched. Also, there have been rose bushes in this location for years, and this hasnít happened before.

I guess my question is, what could it be if it was not a deer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM

3,230 posts, read 2,349,540 times
I don’t know about roses, but a couple of years ago I had a beautiful fat sunflower bud nipped right off. I blamed the squirrels, those furries eat everything.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 PM

15,256 posts, read 6,474,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have one Knockout rose bush in the front yard. It is just starting to bloom. Today, I noticed that some of the buds had been bitten off, while others remained untouched. I have never seen a deer in my yard, although Iím sure they are around. Wouldnít a deer have munched ALL the buds?

This one rose bush is among other plants in bloom and budding, but none of those were touched. Also, there have been rose bushes in this location for years, and this hasnít happened before.

I guess my question is, what could it be if it was not a deer?
Not necessarily. Depends on what else is around. They sample everything.

I had some wasabi in a large pot. The local doe just loved it.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Iím curious to see if any more buds are gone tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:32 PM

5,326 posts, read 5,366,244 times
Mice and rabbits will eat them too. And slugs. And some bugs and caterpillars. I've seen crows nip them off and carry them away. Sometimes children pick them off.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Mice and rabbits will eat them too. And slugs. And some bugs and caterpillars. I've seen crows nip them off and carry them away. Sometimes children pick them off.

I havenít seen a rabbit here, and I didnít see any evidence of bugs or caterpillars. Maybe a bird or squirrel could be the culprit.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Status: "Bipartisan agreement requires compromise" (set 17 days ago)

15,586 posts, read 19,000,847 times
Everything eats roses. From four legs to multi-legged, to non-winged, to winged. This is why I don't have roses anymore. It's a constant battle and insecticides hardly work anymore, and they won't keep deer and anything else from eating them anyway.

Roses smell really good. But, the actual plant/foliage is ugly, and they are a pest magnet for your yard. They're just not worth keeping, in my opinion.

As far as deer, they even killed my baby evergreen trees. They kept eating all of the new growth. Argh.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 AM
Status: "So much insanity, so little time..." (set 14 days ago)

8,596 posts, read 2,162,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

OT, but I want to know how to grow wasabi!

As for the roses, it could be anything. Apparently, roses are delicious.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 AM

15,256 posts, read 6,474,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
OT, but I want to know how to grow wasabi!

As for the roses, it could be anything. Apparently, roses are delicious.
I grew mine outside in an Earthbox, in the shade. This is the Puget Sound, so I'd bring it inside if freezing threatened. It would also start to look pretty ratty in July, would recover when it got cooler.

In a pot, they like it cool, neither hot nor freezing, with free-draining soil kept moist. Because it's a shade-lover, it actually does well as a houseplant. I think it's a pretty plant.

In Japan, it's grown outside in cold mountain streams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WoYRUEY1zM

I found it very easy to grow. But then the PNW is a lot like Japan, except that we don't get as much summer precipitation. Hence the Earthbox.

Vegetable Seeds, Flower Seeds, Herb Seed, Garden Seed - Territorial Seed Company

Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 AM

15 posts, read 1,603 times
Excellent video jacqueg, thanks for the information you have shared with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden