U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 06:39 AM

13,707 posts, read 10,952,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaisheng View Post
I have bought a Trimmer in 2008, and it works until today!

The things you need to know is to maintenance it, and keep it healthy!
I had a relatively cheap Weed Eater 2-cycle that I had for 20 or 30 years. The only real maintenance I had to perform was replacing the fuel line that gets brittle around the 10 year mark. I also cleaned the spark arrestor once; of course it helps to be a mechanic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:43 AM

13,941 posts, read 30,028,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had a relatively cheap Weed Eater 2-cycle that I had for 20 or 30 years. The only real maintenance I had to perform was replacing the fuel line that gets brittle around the 10 year mark. I also cleaned the spark arrestor once; of course it helps to be a mechanic!
Those Weed Eater branded ones are usually the worst, along with Poulan. The best gas trimmer Iíve owned was an Echo, it still ran perfect after 7 years until I sold it and replaced it with a Greenworks G-Max.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Those Weed Eater branded ones are usually the worst, along with Poulan. The best gas trimmer I’ve owned was an Echo, it still ran perfect after 7 years until I sold it and replaced it with a Greenworks G-Max.
I used to be an Echo dealer! Yes; they do make great weed eaters! I think I got the Weed Eater for safe truck driving miles and I also have five acres. I have tried to make most of my property accessible to my riding tractors. But of course I always have some areas that the tractors simply cannot cut. I also do not have the time to use the string trimmers all the time; but I do get around to one or two good cleanups on most of my property every year. Like I said; I was also a small engines mechanic so I know how and when to repair them.

By the way; I was also a Poulan dealer and at one time I even sold firewood. I liked the Echo chainsaws but I also liked my Poulans. I even have one of the Professional Poulans that dates back to the 1970's and is still a very strong saw. Of course the fuel lines had to be replaced several times in all of these years. It dates back to before all the safety anti-kickback chains and safety chain locks; it will cut off my leg if I put it in the wrong place at the wrong time. If the chain starts to bind the saw comes out like a bullet. I also have a smaller 18 inch Poulan and a Husqvarna Rancher.

Your Greenworks would never cut the amount of wood that I once cut. Even approaching 72 I still cut far more than I could cut with an electric saw. It might work fine for an occasional tree and trimming up. But if you are tackling the 16 cords of wood I once burned every year or the 100s of cords I once sold; that is not the right choice. You want the right saw for the right job.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I used to be an Echo dealer! Yes; they do make great weed eaters! I think I got the Weed Eater for safe truck driving miles and I also have five acres. I have tried to make most of my property accessible to my riding tractors. But of course I always have some areas that the tractors simply cannot cut. I also do not have the time to use the string trimmers all the time; but I do get around to one or two good cleanups on most of my property every year. Like I said; I was also a small engines mechanic so I know how and when to repair them.

By the way; I was also a Poulan dealer and at one time I even sold firewood. I liked the Echo chainsaws but I also liked my Poulans. I even have one of the Professional Poulans that dates back to the 1970's and is still a very strong saw. Of course the fuel lines had to be replaced several times in all of these years. It dates back to before all the safety anti-kickback chains and safety chain locks; it will cut off my leg if I put it in the wrong place at the wrong time. If the chain starts to bind the saw comes out like a bullet. I also have a smaller 18 inch Poulan and a Husqvarna Rancher.

Your Greenworks would never cut the amount of wood that I once cut. Even approaching 72 I still cut far more than I could cut with an electric saw. It might work fine for an occasional tree and trimming up. But if you are tackling the 16 cords of wood I once burned every year or the 100s of cords I once sold; that is not the right choice. You want the right saw for the right job.
I actually sold my 18Ē Husqvarna 345 chainsaw when I got my Greenworks 16Ē. Thatís about the biggest saw I need because I seldom ever cut anything larger than 12Ē diameter. As long as I use the 4ah battery itís amazing how long it lasts. Iím usually tired and ready to quit before the battery is depleted. I donít cut wood for heat though, I just use it to clean up my property.

I have the whole Greenworks line now, and all of it seems to go amazing far on a charge with the exception of the blower. I donít know what it is about the blower but it seems to use a lot of power.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I actually sold my 18Ē Husqvarna 345 chainsaw when I got my Greenworks 16Ē. Thatís about the biggest saw I need because I seldom ever cut anything larger than 12Ē diameter. As long as I use the 4ah battery itís amazing how long it lasts. Iím usually tired and ready to quit before the battery is depleted. I donít cut wood for heat though, I just use it to clean up my property.

I have the whole Greenworks line now, and all of it seems to go amazing far on a charge with the exception of the blower. I donít know what it is about the blower but it seems to use a lot of power.
That's fine and it apparently works for you! Like humans some of us have other needs. The more property you own; the less likely you want cordless electric for now. There is a point where the electric tools simply do not have the power for the job. Maybe that will change in the future?

As I have aged I also do not work like I worked in my twenties. Recently I took down some large pine trees on my property; some of them were close to two feet in diameter. Years ago I would have cut them up in the same day and now I spread it out over several days and they were not full days; only half days. I was also more careful after landing on my butt as I stepped on a log that rolled! Still; an electric could not handle that kind of cutting today. Although I have the large Poulan and the 455 Husqvarna; I tend to use my Poulan 18 inch saw because it is lighter. I do use the larger saws for the larger diameter cuts.

Most of this equipment will last for many years. One little problem I have with the cordless is that the manufacturers constantly up the battery voltage. They started off with 12 volts and, on que, kept climbing. It was the one way to have planned obsolescence for electric tools. Yes; you can buy batteries for the older tools. Considering the cost of the batteries many decide to simply buy new battery powered tools with the higher voltage batteries. It works out good for the manufacturers. Now they are pushing the limits of safe voltage to use in outside; sometimes wet environments. Potential it might backfire or set the safe voltage limits for future tools. Only time will tell and much of that would depend on the insulation or weather proofing.

Anyway; have a Merry Xmas!

Old 12-25-2018, 09:19 PM

1,861 posts, read 748,623 times
Years ago I had a Weed Eater and it lasted a couple of years. I bought another one(refurb) and got another year out of that one. Then I bought a Craftsman that lasted 7 or 8 years. The fuel line rotted on it, which was an easy,cheap fix. I had my eye on a new Honda trimmer so I bought it a year ago. Itís an awesome trimmer and I expect to get at least 15 years out of it.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:01 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,114,731 times
I dont have a large area that needs to be trimmed. But I do have a line trimmer that I use, I still have my Craftsman electric trimmer after 20 or so years, dragging around a cord. It still cuts good, I keep waiting for it to crap out. I've had my eye on a new Greenworks one at Lowes.

Thinking back. I remember when they came out, around the late 70's or early 80's. I had the idea to try and make one. I used an old vacuum motor. For line, I used steel fishing leader line connected to a plate I made that was attached to the motor. Wasnt that easy to use, not very balanced. The motor was at the bottom of the pole it was attached to. Handle at the top with a simple on/off switch. Didnt have any kind of a guard over the line. Worked ok, was just a project to do.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Years ago I had a Weed Eater and it lasted a couple of years. I bought another one(refurb) and got another year out of that one. Then I bought a Craftsman that lasted 7 or 8 years. The fuel line rotted on it, which was an easy,cheap fix. I had my eye on a new Honda trimmer so I bought it a year ago. It’s an awesome trimmer and I expect to get at least 15 years out of it.
Here is a link that explains the problem and some of the products now available to replace fuel lines cracking or disintegrating from ethanol containing gasoline: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/1...hould-not-use/. If you can replace the fuel line yourself it is a very cheap fix for one of the small string weed eaters. It's only a very short piece of hose but some can be difficult to replace (especially the first time you attempt the operation). Many of the small 2-cycle gas tanks have weighted filters on the end of the fuel line. Because the fuel line is not stationary in the gas tank and moves as you turn your equipment sideways; the fuel line will crack inside the tank. It is usually pulled through a very small hole in the tank so it acts as its own 'seal' with the tank. So to install the new hose one has have a long tapered end to be passed through and be grabbed by a pair of needle nose plyers. The more you do the operation the easier it becomes.

To anybody that is handy with tools you have YouTube to assist you with this project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9yWUoO9OKY

Old 12-26-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I dont have a large area that needs to be trimmed. But I do have a line trimmer that I use, I still have my Craftsman electric trimmer after 20 or so years, dragging around a cord. It still cuts good, I keep waiting for it to crap out. I've had my eye on a new Greenworks one at Lowes.

Thinking back. I remember when they came out, around the late 70's or early 80's. I had the idea to try and make one. I used an old vacuum motor. For line, I used steel fishing leader line connected to a plate I made that was attached to the motor. Wasnt that easy to use, not very balanced. The motor was at the bottom of the pole it was attached to. Handle at the top with a simple on/off switch. Didnt have any kind of a guard over the line. Worked ok, was just a project to do.
If you get a Greenworks get the 40v and splurge for the 4ah battery.

This is the one I have and itís more than enough for my 3 acres.
https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Co...mer%2B40v&th=1

Old Today, 10:43 AM

259 posts, read 233,298 times
I have the Husqvarna that is a few years old I get it repaired as it's pretty pricey but honestly I have mostly changed the spark plug and that's about it. If I had a smaller place I might try one of the rechargeable ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or