U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 02:23 PM

474 posts, read 250,672 times

Advertisements

I’m planting Allegheny Viburnums to create a screen and I recently had a vole issue since our property is adjacent to woods.

A fellow in the nursery advised digging a larger planting hole and line the perimeter with 1/4 inch galvanized wire 12 inches deep and it’s referred to as hardware cloth.

I’m trying to confirm his advice is correct and I guess the roots will grow through the barrier without an issue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 03:02 PM

6,081 posts, read 7,030,845 times
The hole should be pretty big, maybe 3 feet or more in diameter. Only the sides should be lined, definitely not any of the bottom. If any of roots grow through the wire other than those called feeder roots (sometimes people call them hair roots) they risk girdling when they get older. But if most of the roots that are going to get thicker grow downward first, you will be fine. You must have some pesky voles if they are that bad.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The hole should be pretty big, maybe 3 feet or more in diameter. Only the sides should be lined, definitely not any of the bottom. If any of roots grow through the wire other than those called feeder roots (sometimes people call them hair roots) they risk girdling when they get older. But if most of the roots that are going to get thicker grow downward first, you will be fine. You must have some pesky voles if they are that bad.
Just concerned with limiting or obstructing the growth of the Viburnum since I want this to grow quickly as a screen.

Perhaps I should not install the hardware cloth and just deal with the Voles if and when I see tunneling near the shrub. Not sure what to do?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:19 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,644,308 times
I wouldn't use any hardware cloth at all. Even large trees have the preponderance of their root system within the top 18" of the soil layer, so I imagine that shrubs would by similar. I think that having hardware cloth on the sides could potentially negatively impact root development for the viburnum. I will say that I have a crap ton of voles in my yard. I also have a large number of viburnums, around 15, and the voles have never touched any of them - they liked the tulip bulbs a lot better.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 988,406 times
I have to agree. You'll have a better chance of losing the shrub with the cloth, than against a couple of voles.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 AM

13,498 posts, read 29,444,231 times
I suspect the hardware cloth will rust away buried underground anyways.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:49 AM

Default Voles & hardware cloth

The voles actually attacked a Skip Laurel that I planted last season and I was so upset that I dug a moat around it and instilled the hardware cloth. Itís been a week now after I put down some repellent and several traps and I do not see any signs of voles or their tunnels, donít know why but Iím doing all I can to be pro active.

Perhaps I should yank out or tear up that hardware cloth? Iím also thinking that material is a root deterrent and I should not use it. Iím thinking the valves will not be able to kill a bush that has grown to a decent size? And also thinking I should just monitor the situation and fight them off with repellent and traps?

It kills me to see a shrub die!!

Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,644,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
The voles actually attacked a Skip Laurel that I planted last season and I was so upset that I dug a moat around it and instilled the hardware cloth. Itís been a week now after I put down some repellent and several traps and I do not see any signs of voles or their tunnels, donít know why but Iím doing all I can to be pro active.

Perhaps I should yank out or tear up that hardware cloth? Iím also thinking that material is a root deterrent and I should not use it. Iím thinking the valves will not be able to kill a bush that has grown to a decent size? And also thinking I should just monitor the situation and fight them off with repellent and traps?

It kills me to see a shrub die!!
I know what you mean about seeing a shrub die, but shrubs die from other causes as well. In my yard, I lose my Scotch broom plants. They seem to get huge, in fact much larger than normal, and bloom just beautifully. Then a brown patch appears on one side. I've tried treating the brown patch and pruning it out, but once that brown patch starts the plant is inevitably doomed. Every single one with the brown patch has died so far. They're so pretty in bloom though that I just yank 'em out and plant more.

TBH, I've never had any voles attack either an established or even a young shrub in my yard, and I've got a plethora of voles. They're attracted to the fallen seeds under my bird feeders. This year I'm going to try underground vole bait stations that I found online - the guy seems pretty knowledgeable about voles.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:12 PM

TBH, I've never had any voles attack either an established or even a young shrub in my yard, and I've got a plethora of voles. They're attracted to the fallen seeds under my bird feeders. This year I'm going to try underground vole bait stations that I found online - the guy seems pretty knowledgeable about voles.[/quote]

Could you let me know about the underground vole bait stations, I have not seen those?

Iím using vole repellent, a JT Eaton Bait Station from Amazon, a tunnel type mole trap and I watched a video on YouTube where a New England Nurset ownwer uses a bunch of Kness Ketch-All moustrapes. He claims that to be the best, no bait and once you get one in there the rest of the family comes along. You can relax cate them or give them a quick drowning in a 5 gallon pail. You can also sprinkle a little bird seed around the trap in lure them near the trap.

Just doing everything and anything thatís possible to get them to move on away from our new shrubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden