U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:58 PM

2,772 posts, read 1,491,098 times

Advertisements

My wife and I planted a seed of white sapote in a 3 gallon container in 2009. After it's roots filled the pot, we
transplanted the seedling to the ground. A few years later, we planted another one about 20' away, also seed grown.

After waiting, and waiting, and waiting...I went out to put fertilizer on it this morning, and see that I have one perfect small fruit forming! I am so excited about this. I love white sapote, and since the fruit does not travel well, it's hard to come by. There is a local Farmer's market that has it once a year, but it's a long drive for us. Having our own trees make this much more convenient.

One fruit won't put a dent in my love for the fruit, but it's a sign she's finally matured and I hope to expect more fruit next year. Happy as a bug in the rug over here

Two years ago one of my two seed grown mangoes finally fruited too. So our landscaping is starting to pay off.

Last edited by TerraDown; 05-02-2018 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 1,600,142 times
Congratulations, Terra Down!

I don't know what a sapote is, though...

Old 05-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Thank you Ms. Heron

It's related to citrus, and even the Giant swallowtail mothers will lay their eggs on it.
The fruit however, is nothing like citrus. It's very creamy, white fleshed which is soft. It tastes like a cross between
a vanilla and banana custard. Mamey is sometimes called sapote too, and is very exotic. I tried to grow it once, but no luck. I'm going to try again with the Mamey though, because it tastes even better than the white sapote. (saa-po-tay) As an example, I just checked Amazon for some mamey fruit, and found 3 fruits for 40.00! The taste of mamey reminds me of almond paste.
As a side note, white sapote is still green when ready to eat. It will most likely be late September before I get to taste it. That's if I can keep it guarded from the squirrels, lol

Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 1,600,142 times
someone mentioned mamey in the unusual fruit thread but I didn't know that one either....

you should plant a dozen, and sell them at that price

Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,287,575 times
Is it a boy or a girl?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:23 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,685,569 times
See, this is the reason I want to move to south FL. So I can grow all my favorite tropical fruits. Sapote, mangoes, lychee, mangosteen (no relation to mango).

Congratulations, by the way. Tell us how it tastes when you have a chance to eat it. Hope it’s as sweet as expected.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:14 AM

Gerania, I don't know why, but I think of trees that make fruit as 'she'

Grace, don't forget longan. Mangosteen is extremely hard to grow over here, I think better luck in Miami.
It's more true tropical than the west coast, where I am. Same with mamey. But with the agricultural charts changing, I'm going to go ahead and try mamey once again. (I used to be zone 9B, now 10A)

I have a Longan just about ready to go in the ground. They are hardier than lychee, and taste just as good, if not better, imho.

Last edited by TerraDown; 05-03-2018 at 02:42 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Gerania, I don't know why, but I think of trees that make fruit as 'she'

Grace, don't forget longan. Mangosteen is extremely hard to grow over here, I think better luck in Miami.
It's more true tropical than the west coast, where I am. Same with mamey. But with the agricultural charts changing, I'm going to go ahead and try mamey once again. (I used to be zone 9B, now 10A)

I have a Longan just about ready to go in the ground. They are hardier than lychee, and taste just as good, if not better, imho.
*And hope you make it down to Florida. Your reason is the exact same reason my wife loves this place. Her gardening leans towards tropical, and this place is paradise in that manner

Old 05-04-2018, 08:21 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,287,575 times
[quote=TerraDown;51785370]Gerania, I don't know why, but I think of trees that make fruit as 'she'

I do. Bearing fruit has always sounded like a girl thing to me.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:47 PM

2,059 posts, read 668,525 times
Terra and Grace - how did you leave out rambutan and oh, what I wouldn't pay to be able to grow a jackfruit. I envy your success with the sapote and hope you keep it safe until you can enjoy it in September.

That said, I can't stand the heat and humidity here in the mid-atlantic, so no fruit on earth is going to get me to Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or