U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:42 PM

4,409 posts, read 2,071,576 times

Advertisements

Im in texas... I have a smaller back yard but I have a lemon tree, artichokes, pomegranate, green peppers, garlic , red onions, thyme , rosemary, mint, romaine, oregano, leeks, and raspberries in full bloom! Talk about full time work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:42 PM

15,491 posts, read 18,783,371 times
I have a tiny balcony and other than flowers and my dwarf crepe myrtle tree, I just recently put out gold and red cherry tomato plants out there, and some little heirloom sweet peppers and basil.

Inside, I have a shelving unit with grow lights and I'm growing more of the above, plus a couple jacaranda tree seedlings I started from seeds I collected. Also, some other flowering plants. I'm planning on growing some cilantro and other herbs inside under grow lights, too.

I would love to grow more of my own food, but in a way, I'm kind of glad I'm limited. Getting too old to be climbing around on my knees, etc., anymore.

I really wish I had room to grow squash. Just bought some at Walmart Neighborhood store and it was cheap at $1/pound for baby zuchini. I just hate spending that much money, though, when I know that I would normally have so many that I'd be giving them away - even after freezing a ton of them.

Anyway, OP, your garden looks amazing. That was a lot of work! Hope you get tons of maters out of your garden.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:03 AM

62,216 posts, read 44,486,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Spent most of the day cleaning, buying, and planting 10 tomatoes (cherries, yellow, orange), cucumbers, and yellow squash. Done!
I love spending time in the garden! How about you?

Yes! before and After Pics! Nice work. nicely spaced out. Looks like planted deep too.

What kind of soil did you use to mix in? Did you test the soil in that area?

I assume that door is blocked off from the inside?

Love the rain barrel.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,046,330 times
Nice work, Thinking-man - the garden looks great! There are several of us here with annual threads that love to share what we do. Please keep the updates coming as the season progresses!!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM

1,655 posts, read 996,135 times
That is the best use for the space. Great job!!

Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 PM

15,491 posts, read 18,783,371 times
OP, by the way, even though it's not always considered strictly organic, I use Miracle Gro for my veggies. I am trying the Miracle Gro for tomatoes specificaly this year. I always get amazing results from Miracle Gro. And it's really cheap.

I use organic potting soil, Black Gold, too. I also use Mosquito Bits, because I have problems with fungus gnats where I live. Mosquito bits are natural and are safe for dogs and kids. It's a bacteria of some kind referred to as BT. It lives in the soil and will eat the larvae of fungus gnats or white flies, et. So, I alway sprinkle Mosquito Bits on top of the soil of my pots. If you have problems with fungus gnats, you could try sprinkling them on the ground around your tomato plants. They work great and are safe and basically organic.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:33 PM

2,085 posts, read 977,638 times
Still have another 6 weeks or to the end of June to plant late lead and beans. I
Still setting out tomatoes sets and tomatoes from seed are just sprouting indoors.
PNW, 500ft elevation. Nights are mid 40s low.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:26 AM

10,013 posts, read 1,690,295 times
How's the garden, OP???

Seeing itsy bitsy lettuce and carrot seedlings coming up....snow peas about to bloom. Have tomatoes and 7 herbs ready to plant, with cucumbers also. That's it for this yr as using all containers.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:42 PM

3,347 posts, read 4,381,430 times
Garden is doing ok....75% of my green zucchinis died....so I replanted some yellow zucchini instead. Two of my cucumbers died too. Lol. I have enough of that though.
Two of my tomatoes died too, and one is almost dying. But i gave them miracle grow yesterday and so we shall wait.
Otherwise, I also planted some basil, rosemary, and dill. My blueberries, raspberries, grapes, and strawberries are doing great. Peaches are infected again. Lol oh well.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:35 PM

2,996 posts, read 1,648,812 times
I hope to get mine planted this,week.

I am not planting as much as,I did last year.

I was going to sign up for a community garden space, but they are all rather far,away from me. Bummer. Even the new one that was supposed to be closer to me didn't pan out.

My garden is also relatively small. I habe 5 raised beds and a tiered raised bed of herbs.

This year not going to do so much. I was supposed to have a knee replacement this summer but we are trying other things first. So I planned on not gardening much, then when plans changed I thought I'd add a community garden space too. But alas not this year.

Well see how things turn out this year.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or