U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 07:56 PM

5,774 posts, read 3,282,103 times

Advertisements

Thinking man, your garden pics look good! Definitely looks like you'll be having a good harvest if it keeps up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 AM

2,088 posts, read 2,686,148 times
OP...from the looks of it, you are using some bagged crap from a big box store as a soil amendment,....this is what my seedlings are transplanted into, and if I need to amend any planting hole I'll use some of this mixed in with the removed soil and compost from my pile.

All summer long, once the ground warms sufficiently, I use my ample grass clippings around my plantings, as a mulch to conserve moisture, keep the soil cool and deter weeds.

Need some tomato plants ? I have a hundred or so left looking for a home.

Hope you garden is a success.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 AM

69,169 posts, read 79,335,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Spent most of the day cleaning, buying, and planting 10 tomatoes (cherries, yellow, orange), cucumbers, and yellow squash. Done!
I love spending time in the garden! How about you?

I am tired just thinking about how hard you have worked on this.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,610,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Thinking man, your garden pics look good! Definitely looks like you'll be having a good harvest if it keeps up.
Thanks for the words of encouragement....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am tired just thinking about how hard you have worked on this.
haha
so, at first i was picking the weeds by hand.....and then it occurred to me that i'm being an idiot. I used a metal rake and it was much much faster and easier.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:44 AM

16,919 posts, read 3,478,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement....

haha
so, at first i was picking the weeds by hand.....and then it occurred to me that i'm being an idiot. I used a metal rake and it was much much faster and easier.

Just think what all your hard work will produce!

Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 AM

69,169 posts, read 79,335,730 times
geeze and I was proud on myself for getting 16 tomato plants, 4 pepper plants, beans and some herbs in. I still have to do the squash and okra. I intended on doing them this morning but got busy planting all the rest of my flowers so quit for awhile. Now, I need to get the energy back and finish my job. Too bad it is so hot. I don't know if the energy level is there for finishing today.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:00 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,610,027 times
Growing nicely. We've had rain and NO SUN for the past 6 days! But still ok.

Also, planted some black tomatoe seeds I bought from China. Transferred it to the garden today...

Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 AM

5,774 posts, read 3,282,103 times
Usually it's better to have no or very little sun right after planting. Gives the baby plants a chance to put down a good root system without the stress of hot sun. My little garden is doing well with the overcast days we've had too. Sun is in the forcast though; I hope not too much yet.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:07 AM

16,664 posts, read 20,383,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I hope to get mine planted this,week.

I am not planting as much as,I did last year.

I was going to sign up for a community garden space, but they are all rather far,away from me. Bummer. Even the new one that was supposed to be closer to me didn't pan out.

My garden is also relatively small. I habe 5 raised beds and a tiered raised bed of herbs.

This year not going to do so much. I was supposed to have a knee replacement this summer but we are trying other things first. So I planned on not gardening much, then when plans changed I thought I'd add a community garden space too. But alas not this year.

Well see how things turn out this year.

I had a bad experience with my first and only community garden last year. First, the cucumber beetles were horrific. They didn't allow any type of insecticide in the gardens, so the insects were winning. And then, people stole my veggies. It was disheartening.

Also, it was a pain to have to drive there to water all of the time. I did set up a little water tower so I just had to fill it up and it watered with a drip system, so at least I didn't have to stand there with the hose. But sometimes someone else was using the water, so I had to wait.

But, the little water system I built was really easy and worked great. I am thinking I'll even build one for my balcony this summer.

I just bought 2 Home Depot buckets. I filled the bottom one up with water and put the lid on it. Then, put the other bucket on top of it. I drilled a hole in the upper bucket on the side near the bottom, and added a spout to it that I could open and close, and connected irrigation tubing to it. Then, I poked a hole in the irrigation tubing at each plant on my raised bed.

Then, you just have to fill up the upper bucket with water, and open the spout just enough so drips of water drip on all of your plants. Then, loosely place the lid on the upper bucket. Then, you have a gravity flow water system.

I even put liquid Miracle Gro in the bucket, so it slow dripped fertilizer on the plants. This system worked fantastically and was cheap. I'd just go fill up the 5 gallon upper bucket every day. If I build one for my balcony, it will have to be taller, because I have plants on stands and in tall pots, but it could be done. I'd just create a taller tower of buckets, or put one on top of a shelf or something.

I also put a hoop over my raised bed with some netting to help keep out the cucumber beetles, and just hand pollinated my zucchini plants, but all you need is one beetle and they can lay tons of eggs. It was a constant battle and then when I did get some nice snow peas going, and some tomatoes, I'd go to pick them and someone else had already helped themselves. Grrrr.

But, I did learn that the bucket gravity water system worked great, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time - good experiment. But, I wouldn't bother with another community garden.

Although, an Asian woman at the garden did tell me that if you just plant greens, nobody steals your greens. She just grew Asian greens. But, forget about tomatoes or peas or anything that can just be picked off the vine. I suppose you could also grow potatoes. But, another gardener told me his carrots were stolen.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:11 AM

16,919 posts, read 3,478,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I had a bad experience with my first and only community garden last year. First, the cucumber beetles were horrific. They didn't allow any type of insecticide in the gardens, so the insects were winning. And then, people stole my veggies. It was disheartening.

Also, it was a pain to have to drive there to water all of the time. I did set up a little water tower so I just had to fill it up and it watered with a drip system, so at least I didn't have to stand there with the hose. But sometimes someone else was using the water, so I had to wait.

But, the little water system I built was really easy and worked great. I am thinking I'll even build one for my balcony this summer.

I just bought 2 Home Depot buckets. I filled the bottom one up with water and put the lid on it. Then, put the other bucket on top of it. I drilled a hole in the upper bucket on the side near the bottom, and added a spout to it that I could open and close, and connected irrigation tubing to it. Then, I poked a hole in the irrigation tubing at each plant on my raised bed.

Then, you just have to fill up the upper bucket with water, and open the spout just enough so drips of water drip on all of your plants. Then, loosely place the lid on the upper bucket. Then, you have a gravity flow water system.

I even put liquid Miracle Gro in the bucket, so it slow dripped fertilizer on the plants. This system worked fantastically and was cheap. I'd just go fill up the 5 gallon upper bucket every day. If I build one for my balcony, it will have to be taller, because I have plants on stands and in tall pots, but it could be done. I'd just create a taller tower of buckets, or put one on top of a shelf or something.

I also put a hoop over my raised bed with some netting to help keep out the cucumber beetles, and just hand pollinated my zucchini plants, but all you need is one beetle and they can lay tons of eggs. It was a constant battle and then when I did get some nice snow peas going, and some tomatoes, I'd go to pick them and someone else had already helped themselves. Grrrr.

But, I did learn that the bucket gravity water system worked great, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time - good experiment. But, I wouldn't bother with another community garden.

Although, an Asian woman at the garden did tell me that if you just plant greens, nobody steals your greens. She just grew Asian greens. But, forget about tomatoes or peas or anything that can just be picked off the vine. I suppose you could also grow potatoes. But, another gardener told me his carrots were stolen.

That's very discouraging, nms....sorry they took your food!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or