U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 10:54 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,151,034 times

Advertisements

Horseradish. Horseradish label as parsnips. Easy to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 03:08 PM

2,173 posts, read 921,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Horseradish. Horseradish label as parsnips. Easy to grow.
And spreads everywhere.

Old 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM

3,476 posts, read 4,521,427 times
Ok, a few updates.....
Rabbits and chipmunks have been eating my zucchini leaves....no more I say!!!!! . The fence protection had to be done!! Spent some time today buying and protecting the garden. Ps trap is for bunnies eating my strawberries!!

Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,151,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
And spreads everywhere.
no need to replant keeps forever in the ground or in the frig

Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 AM

3,476 posts, read 4,521,427 times
Updated pictures. Some squirrel or chipmunk somehow still got in and dug near one of the plants. Need more traps.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:39 AM

13,411 posts, read 2,642,364 times
Your plants still look good....

Old 05-27-2018, 09:43 AM

63,541 posts, read 45,896,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just bought 2 Home Depot buckets. I filled the bottom one up with water and put the lid on it. Then, put the other bucket on top of it. I drilled a hole in the upper bucket on the side near the bottom, and added a spout to it that I could open and close, and connected irrigation tubing to it. Then, I poked a hole in the irrigation tubing at each plant on my raised bed.

Then, you just have to fill up the upper bucket with water, and open the spout just enough so drips of water drip on all of your plants. Then, loosely place the lid on the upper bucket. Then, you have a gravity flow water system.

I even put liquid Miracle Gro in the bucket, so it slow dripped fertilizer on the plants. This system worked fantastically and was cheap. I'd just go fill up the 5 gallon upper bucket every day. If I build one for my balcony, it will have to be taller, because I have plants on stands and in tall pots, but it could be done. I'd just create a taller tower of buckets, or put one on top of a shelf or something.

Interesting bucket idea. I assume would only work for tiny gardens? I had a gutter spout fill up a 55 Gallon Pail with rain water and I realized after watering the garden I would only get like 2-3 days worth. (less if I wanted to deep water). Especially when its sunny and in the 80s/90s. So I would be using city water anyway after couple days.. So I stopped collecting rain. Wasn't worth it. Didn't like water standing around either if it was a rainy pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Updated pictures. Some squirrel or chipmunk somehow still got in and dug near one of the plants. Need more traps.

Loving the updates, keep them coming.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:27 AM

567 posts, read 403,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I love small gardens! It's amazing what you can grow in a small space. I hope you update with pictures of the growing garden and also what it produces.
I live in metro NY and small gardens are kind of necessary lol. But you'd be amazed what you can grow in a small space (and maybe with a few extra pots). Happy gardening!

Old 05-29-2018, 06:50 AM

33,480 posts, read 41,687,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Ok, a few updates.....
Rabbits and chipmunks have been eating my zucchini leaves....no more I say!!!!! . The fence protection had to be done!! Spent some time today buying and protecting the garden. Ps trap is for bunnies eating my strawberries!!

Now, I am just chuckling to myself. Looks like you will be having $40.@ tomatoes like I did. By the time you get the supplies, get all the work done, spend more money fighting off bugs and critters, its cheaper to just go to the store.

Now, I have a few herbs that thrive on neglect, and two pots of cherry tomatoes that are doing well. Every year I think about trying a garden again, but then I remember.

Old 05-29-2018, 06:58 AM

13,411 posts, read 2,642,364 times
After buying container soil, vegetable fertilizer and Neem oil and fungicide, I too will have $40 tomatoes...

but they sure will taste good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or