U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM

3,386 posts, read 4,422,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Now, I am just chuckling to myself. Looks like you will be having $40.@ tomatoes like I did. By the time you get the supplies, get all the work done, spend more money fighting off bugs and critters, its cheaper to just go to the store.

Now, I have a few herbs that thrive on neglect, and two pots of cherry tomatoes that are doing well. Every year I think about trying a garden again, but then I remember.
I don't do it for the $$ i save or not save. I do it for the enjoyment i get out of creating something...something alive that thrives proportionally to how well i take care of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 01:04 PM

67,303 posts, read 77,029,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I don't do it for the $$ i save or not save. I do it for the enjoyment i get out of creating something...something alive that thrives proportionally to how well i take care of it
I agree and I know what is on my plants, which is good. I also realize, after a couples years of starting the container garden I don't have to keep replacing the soil, etc, so the cost isn't nearly as high as the first couple of seasons, plus the fun of going out early in the morning and picking your own produce, what can beat that?

Old 05-29-2018, 01:35 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,019,290 times
Quote:
I feel the same. My spouse moans and groans about the water I have to use for the garden and how silly it is when I could buy the produce at the store. After so many years, I just stopped listening to the non-sense. A true gardener understands the joys of gardening. It's so much more than money.

Old 05-29-2018, 03:12 PM

32,614 posts, read 40,938,343 times
Quote:
I really do get that.

Old 05-29-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I feel the same. My spouse moans and groans about the water I have to use for the garden and how silly it is when I could buy the produce at the store. After so many years, I just stopped listening to the non-sense. A true gardener understands the joys of gardening. It's so much more than money.
I picked up a 50 gallon rain water barrel for $20. Water problems solved. 😁

Old 05-30-2018, 05:47 AM

So i had bought a metal trap (live) for the chipmunks....after seeing that my green netting was doing exactly ZERO in deterring them from digging a hole under it and going in and eating all the purple basil i had!
Anyway, caught one finally, and as i was showing the trap to my young daughter, the f*&ker slipped through the cage and ran away. lol
time to step it up. So i set up the 5 gallon bucket system and this morning, caught a damn RAT! didn't even know we had rats. Maybe i should leave the chipmunks alone? maybe it was the rat who was terrorizing my garden and my strawberries?

Old 05-30-2018, 09:00 AM

10,714 posts, read 1,967,323 times
Quote:
So i had bought a metal trap (live) for the chipmunks....after seeing that my green netting was doing exactly ZERO in deterring them from digging a hole under it and going in and eating all the purple basil i had!
Anyway, caught one finally, and as i was showing the trap to my young daughter, the f*&ker slipped through the cage and ran away. lol
time to step it up. So i set up the 5 gallon bucket system and this morning, caught a damn RAT! didn't even know we had rats. Maybe i should leave the chipmunks alone? maybe it was the rat who was terrorizing my garden and my strawberries?

I appreciate your diligence

Not sure who is terrorizing your garden....frustrating. Keep at it...have you googled "something eating my purple basil"? At times that's my only way of knowing what's happening to my plants.

Your green basil looks great, mine just succumbed to aphids even though I used insecticidal soap daily. Will have to replace...

Old 05-30-2018, 09:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 16,129,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I appreciate your diligence

Not sure who is terrorizing your garden....frustrating. Keep at it...have you googled "something eating my purple basil"? At times that's my only way of knowing what's happening to my plants.

Your green basil looks great, mine just succumbed to aphids even though I used insecticidal soap daily. Will have to replace...
I’m about ready to double or triple my basil “herd” by sprouting some clippings in a vase. Basil is very easy to grow in my climate.

I definitely have squirrels digging in my garden (and rats?) but luckily mine don’t like basil!

Old 05-30-2018, 09:23 AM

10,714 posts, read 1,967,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Iím about ready to double or triple my basil ďherdĒ by sprouting some clippings in a vase. Basil is very easy to grow in my climate.

I definitely have squirrels digging in my garden (and rats?) but luckily mine donít like basil!
It should be easy here....going to get a new plant or two and begin using Neem oil and soap immediately before aphids set in...

Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 AM

67,303 posts, read 77,029,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Iím about ready to double or triple my basil ďherdĒ by sprouting some clippings in a vase. Basil is very easy to grow in my climate.

I definitely have squirrels digging in my garden (and rats?) but luckily mine donít like basil!
so far they have left all my plants alone, but many of mine are in high containers that would be almost impossible to dig in. we will see when my next couple of containers start to grow and produce. LIke you, my basil is going nuts and it isn't even June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or