U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 16,129,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so far they have left all my plants alone, but many of mine are in high containers that would be almost impossible to dig in. we will see when my next couple of containers start to grow and produce. LIke you, my basil is going nuts and it isn't even June.
I canít pinch off the flower heads fast enough, and I feel like I wouldnít normally have that issue for a month or two at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 08:46 AM

3,386 posts, read 4,422,506 times
So sad and disappointed....I try to take good care of them...but...
Most My tomatoe plants are not growing!
My cucumbers appear to be sick...
Basil's look terrible....
I picked off the diseased leaves....but....

Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 16,129,131 times
Basil looks ok to me except something is munching on it a bit. Had you just watered? If not might be giving too much water or poor drainage.

How hot is it where you are? Tomatoes wonít set fruit if itís too hot. That one tomato plant close up is a nice size.

The soil might be a problem, it looks heavy and clayey - I have the same problem here so I just container garden.

Garden looks very nice to me in the last picture!

Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM

10,713 posts, read 1,958,402 times
Overall looks good...

cucumber might have been affected by striped cucumber beetles....basil possibly by aphids....

Are you using any pest control of any type???

Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,018,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So i had bought a metal trap (live) for the chipmunks....after seeing that my green netting was doing exactly ZERO in deterring them from digging a hole under it and going in and eating all the purple basil i had!
Anyway, caught one finally, and as i was showing the trap to my young daughter, the f*&ker slipped through the cage and ran away. lol
time to step it up. So i set up the 5 gallon bucket system and this morning, caught a damn RAT! didn't even know we had rats. Maybe i should leave the chipmunks alone? maybe it was the rat who was terrorizing my garden and my strawberries?
Yikes~~!!

Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 AM

My tomatoe leaves are like this....any idea why?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:25 AM

2,080 posts, read 861,789 times
Are you watering from above? If so tomato plants can be harmed from doing so.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:22 AM

16,976 posts, read 16,149,563 times
The soil. You need to turn that soil and amend it too. It looks like it might be clay and the poor roots can't get into it to obtain nutrients. You need to check the ph and probably add bonemeal or lime. I learned the hard way that if the ph is off, the plants can't even use the nutrients that are present. Lime is cheaper than bone meal but lime takes months to work. Bone meal works fast.

If the soil is poor, the plants will be sick and weak and prone to disease. Get the soil tested and get it up to standard.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:10 PM

62,532 posts, read 44,863,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree and I know what is on my plants, which is good. I also realize, after a couples years of starting the container garden I don't have to keep replacing the soil, etc, so the cost isn't nearly as high as the first couple of seasons, plus the fun of going out early in the morning and picking your own produce, what can beat that?

BINGO. I always chuckle when I hear people talk about the $$ aspect of it. I also laugh at all the pesticides and preservatives the stores have. Also.. we're saving money by not needing gas to get to the market or deal with traffic to get there.

Quote:
I picked up a 50 gallon rain water barrel for $20. Water problems solved. ��

You're so lucky. I tried the rain barrel thing and wasn't enough water for my garden.

Quote:
My tomatoe leaves are like this....any idea why?
I'm going to guess its Early Blight. Tough to battle. Try using garden fungicide on them. Throw those leaves/stems away (not in compost)

How have your temps been? If not crazy hot, I'm leaning towards a fungus

I also agree with in_newengland, turn that soil more often and maybe add some nutrients in it.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Are you watering from above? If so tomato plants can be harmed from doing so.
Yes. Ok. I'll stop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or