U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:16 PM

3,478 posts, read 4,521,427 times

Advertisements

Spent most of the day cleaning, buying, and planting 10 tomatoes (cherries, yellow, orange), cucumbers, and yellow squash. Done!
I love spending time in the garden! How about you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 07:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,585,602 times
Yeah, today I planted 56 peppers in the community garden 30 in my garden, topped off my tomatoes, with 24 more for a total of 114, tomorrow another 100+ tomatoes in the community garden.....just getting started. I raised 43 different tomato varieties, and 10-12 pepper varieties....finally done potting up from 4 packs to 3" pots.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Yeah, today I planted 56 peppers in the community garden 30 in my garden, topped off my tomatoes, with 24 more for a total of 114, tomorrow another 100+ tomatoes in the community garden.....just getting started. I raised 43 different tomato varieties, and 10-12 pepper varieties....finally done potting up from 4 packs to 3" pots.

Regards
Gemstone1
Lol holly sh*t....I'm gonna delete my thread....your response makes my garden look like child's play...

What's a community garden? Why do you plant so much? Who gets the veggies? Who pays for plants? Who pays for veggies?

Old 05-05-2018, 08:36 PM

6,769 posts, read 12,178,881 times
Thinking-man, I lived in a county of 20,000 (county seat has a population of 3500) that has a group getting businesses and organizations to sponsor community gardens. Community gardens are planted around churches, schools, even a nursing home and city owned property. The food is then donated to the local food bank. From what I remember reading from their facebook page, one church had 6 raised bed gardens on their empty lot and raised enough to give to 12 families plus some extras.

I don't grow that much. I have a very shady yard. A few weeks ago Lowe's had landscape timbers 3/$10. I bought 12 plus 20 bags of garden soil and made a small garden. We're not much on squash, broccoli, etc, so I've planted 3 rows of green beans (pole), a couple tomato plants for my wife, and some lettuce. I like planting the pole beans over bush beans because you don't have to get on your hands and knees to find the beans. I actually planted pole beans to grow on an A frame swing set. Worked great!

Old 05-06-2018, 06:59 AM

"Lol holly sh*t....I'm gonna delete my thread....your response makes my garden look like child's play...

What's a community garden? Why do you plant so much? Who gets the veggies? Who pays for plants? Who pays for veggies?"

I didn't post that to ding you for a small garden, you've done a good job, and everyone does what works for them, we all started out small. I posted because I like to garden. The community garden in this little town is a project of the County Extension Service on a plot of land on an old unused school. Everyone can help themselves to the produce, any excess goes to local food banks. The idea is that everyone helps out with the tasks, but it doesn't always work out that way, but no one is discouraged from harvesting, as we are not a prosperous county. The Extension agent gets plugs of broccoli, cabbage, etc. grown at a nearby correctional institution, free of charge. The county buys corn, bean, beet, cuke, squash seeds and a few volunteers plant it all. I provide the tomato and pepper plants, free of charge, which I grow from seed in a local commercial greenhouse. I trade my labor, helping the greenhouse owner with his seeding, transplanting, re-potting, etc., in return, he provides me the environment to raise thousands of plants. What I don't use in my garden, or plant in the community garden, I give away to friends and neighbors.

You will probably find that your tomato cages will be inadequate by mid season. Keep an eye out for concrete reinforcing wire, perhaps left over from a small concrete job in the neighborhood. At over $100 for a 150' roll at a big box store, it pays to salvage used building materials. It is 5' high, heavy gauge, will last for years, and you can reach through the grid to harvest the fruit. I cut mine in 7-10' sections to make a single cage. The 10 foot section will make a huge cage, and within it, I will plant 8 tomato plants, usually 2 varieties.

Regards
Gemstone1

Last edited by gemstone1; 05-06-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 AM

13,427 posts, read 2,642,364 times
Great job OP! Small space gardening is fun....and not so backbreaking. You did a good days work. I must use containers this yr for vegetables and need to get started....

yes, it's a fun project with tasty results.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:37 AM

13,427 posts, read 2,642,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Lol holly sh*t....I'm gonna delete my thread....your response makes my garden look like child's play...

What's a community garden? Why do you plant so much? Who gets the veggies? Who pays for plants? Who pays for veggies?"

I didn't post that to ding you for a small garden, you've done a good job, and everyone does what works for them, we all started out small. I posted because I like to garden. The community garden in this little town is a project of the County Extension Service on a plot of land on an old unused school. Everyone can help themselves to the produce, any excess goes to local food banks. The idea is that everyone helps out with the tasks, but it doesn't always work out that way, but no one is discouraged from harvesting, as we are not a prosperous county. The Extension agent gets plugs of broccoli, cabbage, etc. grown at a nearby correctional institution, free of charge. The county buys corn, bean, beet, cuke, squash seeds and a few volunteers plant it all. I provide the tomato and pepper plants, free of charge, which I grow from seed in a local commercial greenhouse. I trade my labor, helping the greenhouse owner with his seeding, transplanting, re-potting, etc., in return, he provides me the environment to raise thousands of plants. What I don't use in my garden, or plant in the community garden, I give away to friends and neighbors.

You will probably find that your tomato cages will be inadequate by mid season. Keep an eye out for concrete reinforcing wire, perhaps left over from a small concrete job in the neighborhood. At over $100 for a 150' roll at a big box store, it pays to salvage used building materials. It is 5' high, heavy gauge, will last for years, and you can reach through the grid to harvest the fruit. I cut mine in 7-10' sections to make a single cage. The 10 foot section will make a huge cage, and within it, I will plant 8 tomato plants, usually 2 varieties.

Regards
Gemstone1

There's no reason to put a damper on someone's sweet gardening thread.

The tomato cages are useful...let us grow and plant what we want...

Old 05-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Great job OP! Small space gardening is fun....and not so backbreaking. You did a good days work. I must use containers this yr for vegetables and need to get started....

yes, it's a fun project with tasty results.
Many thanks! Excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
There's no reason to put a damper on someone's sweet gardening thread.

The tomato cages are useful...let us grow and plant what we want...
Oh no, It's quite alright. I didnt look at it that way at all and didnt take any offense. It's great what they're doing.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:49 AM

"There's no reason to put a damper on someone's sweet gardening thread.

The tomato cages are useful...let us grow and plant what we want..."

GBH....My post was just to pass on a tip I learned years ago....the hard way. If we don't take time to share with others, or learn from others, (isn't that why we are all here ?) we will always be re-inventing the wheel.....Use or discard the tip as you see fit.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-06-2018, 02:42 PM

5,209 posts, read 3,081,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Lol holly sh*t....I'm gonna delete my thread....your response makes my garden look like child's play...

What's a community garden? Why do you plant so much? Who gets the veggies? Who pays for plants? Who pays for veggies?

I love small gardens! It's amazing what you can grow in a small space. I hope you update with pictures of the growing garden and also what it produces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or