U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:22 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,132,636 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow gardeners! Decided to start my own thread about my love of gardening
The pics to follow are ones of my garden during the 2017 season. I am excited to start my 2018 garden soon! I made the mistake of not rotating my tomato plants last year and some of them did not very well. Lesson learned! Last year I made my garden bigger (much to my spouse's dismay as my spouse things it is a waste of time and water.......Grrrrrrrrrrrr)
I don't care, I love it and I'll do it as long as I my body says I can LOL
I also love planting flowers around the house and it looks so nice when everything is in bloom!

Please share your garden pictures, tips and whatever else you want to contribute

"Stay calm and garden on"

"Ghost Pepper"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,139,806 times
Looking forward to seeing your progress, Cindy! Glad you started your own thread!

I meant to ask, when is your average last frost and what's your goal plant-out date? Do you start everything yourself from seed or do you buy from the nursery?

Last edited by NickMan7; 05-09-2018 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Hi Nick!

I usually buy all my plants from Home Depot. This year though, I started my tomato and green pepper plants from seed (seed from last year's plants)
The picture below is how I started the tomatoes

In Wisconsin we usually should wait until Memorial Day to plant the garden. Last year I wanted to plant them sooner and I planted the tomato plants only to have a frost come one night and I thought it killed them. Luckily, they bounced back! LOL
It for sure did not harm that Ghost Pepper plant because that sucker was as healthy as ever. I started calling it "the Satan Plant" because it lived longer than any plant in the garden and kept producing. LOL

I think our long range forecast does not call for any frost any longer this month since we have had some 80 degree days but I know how Wisconsin is. LOL I am going to "try" to get my spouse to roto till the garden this Sunday. Wish me luck!

Old 05-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Ghost peppers from last year. Holy Hanna are they HOT!! Whewwwwwwwwwwww

Old 05-10-2018, 04:38 AM

65,012 posts, read 47,336,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Hello fellow gardeners! Decided to start my own thread about my love of gardening
The pics to follow are ones of my garden during the 2017 season. I am excited to start my 2018 garden soon!
Nice garden!! Love the cardboard.
Those Ghost peppers look torching hot!
Looking forward to the 2018 season of yours.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice garden!! Love the cardboard.
Those Ghost peppers look torching hot!
Looking forward to the 2018 season of yours.
Got the cardboard from work. It works great to keep down the weeds--you just have to make sure the cardboard has No Print on it. That way if and when it breaks down, your not putting that ink into the ground.

Thanks Cambium! I'm excited to get my plants going again!! Whewwwwwwwww!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:23 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,139,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Hi Nick!

I usually buy all my plants from Home Depot. This year though, I started my tomato and green pepper plants from seed (seed from last year's plants)
The picture below is how I started the tomatoes

In Wisconsin we usually should wait until Memorial Day to plant the garden. Last year I wanted to plant them sooner and I planted the tomato plants only to have a frost come one night and I thought it killed them. Luckily, they bounced back! LOL
It for sure did not harm that Ghost Pepper plant because that sucker was as healthy as ever. I started calling it "the Satan Plant" because it lived longer than any plant in the garden and kept producing. LOL

I think our long range forecast does not call for any frost any longer this month since we have had some 80 degree days but I know how Wisconsin is. LOL I am going to "try" to get my spouse to roto till the garden this Sunday. Wish me luck!
Your seedlings are lookin' good there, Cindy, and I love the eggshell pots! How many tomato and pepper plants are you planning on putting in this year? I'm planning on around 40 tomato plants and 20-25 pepper plants. Couple zucchini/squash, one cucumber and some other fun stuff, too.

Memorial Day is generally ours, too. I can usually get away with maybe a week sooner, but a lot of people around here aim for Mother's Day. It's almost always just enough too early that it would stress me out, so I wait a week or two. That always seems to be safer. Not to mention, if the weather isn't consistently warm enough, planting early has almost no benefit. Plants will just sit there until it gets warmer.

I like the term "Satan plant" - that's hilarious. Those peppers certainly look fitting! They're beautiful, though. For being notoriously difficult to grow and produce well, ya done good!!

Good luck with the tilling! That sounds like no fun whatsoever.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Your seedlings are lookin' good there, Cindy, and I love the eggshell pots! How many tomato and pepper plants are you planning on putting in this year? I'm planning on around 40 tomato plants and 20-25 pepper plants. Couple zucchini/squash, one cucumber and some other fun stuff, too.

Memorial Day is generally ours, too. I can usually get away with maybe a week sooner, but a lot of people around here aim for Mother's Day. It's almost always just enough too early that it would stress me out, so I wait a week or two. That always seems to be safer. Not to mention, if the weather isn't consistently warm enough, planting early has almost no benefit. Plants will just sit there until it gets warmer.

I like the term "Satan plant" - that's hilarious. Those peppers certainly look fitting! They're beautiful, though. For being notoriously difficult to grow and produce well, ya done good!!

Good luck with the tilling! That sounds like no fun whatsoever.
Glad I can make you laugh, it really is what I do best LOLOL

I LOVE zucchini! ( I make and can a killer zucchini relish.....it is SO good!!) It cracks me up how big the zucchini plants themselves get and the leaves are Gi-Normus! The first time my youngest son saw the plant growing in my garden he said "What the hell is that? It looks like something from a Giant Planet" LOL

I will also plant this year:

10 to 12 tomato plants.
5 to 10 green pepper, a few orange and yellow pepper.
pole bean
Broccoli (3 or 4)
2 cucumber plants
2 zucchini
2 pumpkin
2 watermelon
1 swish chard

I also have a strawberry patch in my garden. Currently have about 25 plants in there right now
I also have onion and chive that come back every year. As well as Cilantro----seeds itself and grows along one side of the garden

Last year I did some other squashs and sweet potatoes. Not sure if I will grow them this year though.
I never have good luck with lettuce either. I think rabbits get in and mow it down LOLOL

I am hoping to get the spouse or youngest son to roto till this Sunday.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 PM

Here is the Zucchini relish from a few years ago. Plan on making more this year. Every time I give some away, that person is raving about it and asking me for more. I LOVE IT!!!

Old 05-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Got the garden rototilled yesterday. Planting it all tomorrow!! I'm soooooooooooo excited!! Ahhhh the simple things in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden