U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM

83 posts, read 54,763 times

Advertisements

Afternoon All,

So I usually use dehydrated manure in my garden area before I plant and this year I was able to get few weeks old cow manure from a farm down the road in Lebanon CT.

My question is, I just had a small bucket loader dump it in my garden area and I raked it in on top for the time being before tilling in........Can I plant my Roma Tomato plants and Basil plants in there at the end of this month around memorial day or first week of june?

I am worried now after everything I have read as to not use fresh cow manure in the planting area....I have two very young kids and I was reading too about E.Coli and other things.....

Only thing I can do is try to hoe it all out of the garden area into a wheel barrel since I didn't til it in yet...

Any insight as to if I would be ok or should I get rid of it off the top layer?

Thanks for all the help cause my mind is really racing right now.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...#ixzz5FDRAtFIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:47 AM

1,329 posts, read 635,802 times
I wouldn't plant in it this year. If you want the manure to age in place, place a wire fence around the area to keep the kids out. Otherwise, shovel it up and move it to a pile to use next year.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM

3,405 posts, read 1,952,619 times
Yeah I would agree. Don't plant this year.
Just let it rot in place and look next year. May be not even then.

I would maybe pile it up as they do on the farm so it can cook and rot.

Lesson learned, l guess.

Good luck

Old 05-11-2018, 07:51 PM

1,641 posts, read 589,015 times
My dad did that years ago once, got some manure from a too fresh pile at a farm. They planted that backyard garden and it grew like crazy. But so did the weeds. It seems a lot of the stuff cows graze on passes right through them, so the weed seeds germinated in the garden. You might want to get some preen down because you will have a even worse weed problem next year if you don't stop it now.

Oh, and the neighbors were not real happy with dad that summer. They were city folk and had not been around the fresh smell of manure.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:33 PM

369 posts, read 112,677 times
Danger of pathogens? Yes.

Chicken, too hot.

Horse pretty good from day one.

I prefer to amend with manures composted.
Jim

Old 05-14-2018, 10:04 AM

83 posts, read 54,763 times
Hey All,

So the next day I shoveled the top layer of cow manure off and put it in a pile for next year....So problem solved and should be good to go for planting this year....No harm no foul since I caught it same day practically.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:37 AM

1,004 posts, read 517,409 times
In my experience, fresh manure is too hot and will burn plants if it is tilled in.

However, it can be used quite successfully as side-dressing, spreading the manure around the plants while avoiding contact with the stems. This way the nitrogen and other nutrients will slowly leach into the surrounding soil, and naturally age over the course of the summer, and then can be tilled in if desired, either after the growing season is done or early the next year. Or just leave it on top. Either way, it's still great for the soil. And the plants grow like they're on steroids!

I learned this from my grandmother, who used to side-dress her Victory garden (tilled every spring) and flower beds (not tilled) with fresh manure. Whether it was tilled or not, the native heavy clay soil became rich and black and fluffy.

Happy gardening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or