U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,757,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
What other herbs can you use in tea besides mint?

What do you use to "mash" the herb in order to make herb honey? Do you cut or tear the leaves first? How long can that honey last before spoilage or crystallizing and becoming hard?

The only basil that I ever see here is sweet basil.

I'm going to try to grow some herbs in pots indoors this year. Last year, the insects got to all of them, even the basil which they normally don't touch.

Does anyone have any tips for growing parsley? I never have much luck.

Any herb that is edible and has a flavour that you like can be used to make tea or herb honey. Go hog wild and experiment. You don't need to use much to make a cup of tea.

If working with fresh material I gently twist or rub the leaves and flowers with my fingers just to bruise them before adding it to the honey. If working with dry material it's not necessary to do anything. Make small batches of herbed honey and use them, then you won't have to worry about how long it will last. Honey is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal so it's no likely to go bad. If your honey crystallizes you can uncrystallize it by gently heating it.

Parsley (and cilantro too) is territorial and anti-social, likes lots of space for itself and it doesn't like to share space with other species of plants, it's even grouchy with other parsley plants. So make sure each individual parsley (or cilantro) plant has lots of room and full sun so it can develop into a monster plant. Keep on cutting off the tops so it doesn't flower and it will grow longer and bigger.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 10:57 PM

7,494 posts, read 7,942,814 times
^Thanks for taking the time to provide all of that information!

Old 05-14-2018, 01:05 AM

9,304 posts, read 17,909,090 times
Sage for poultry
Rosemary for soups, stews, poultry, etc.
Bay leaf for soups, stews, etc., although it's more of a tree than an herb
Thyme for soups, stews occasionally salad dressing
Scallions for soups and salads
Mamaki (it's a shrubby tree here in Hawaii) for teas
Tea (camellia sinensus) for well, tea. Not sure if it's an herb, it's more of a small shrub
Mint is all over the yard and it's for teas and for smelling nice when mowed or walked on
Lavender for potpourri mostly
Aloe (is that a herb?) for fixing burns

There may be some others hiding off somewhere that I've forgotten about.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:30 AM

40,815 posts, read 32,508,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
What other herbs can you use in tea besides mint?

What do you use to "mash" the herb in order to make herb honey? Do you cut or tear the leaves first? How long can that honey last before spoilage or crystallizing and becoming hard?

The only basil that I ever see here is sweet basil.

I'm going to try to grow some herbs in pots indoors this year. Last year, the insects got to all of them, even the basil which they normally don't touch.

Does anyone have any tips for growing parsley? I never have much luck.

Good questions - I will try to answer them.

I just tear the leaves a little when I wash them, and mash them a little with a spoon in the jar. I have used sage, rosemary, and basil (and I think oregano) individually for teas. I guess you could use them individually in honeys too - I know my daughter makes a fabulous sage honey.

I don't know how long the herbed honey will last before it crystallizes because mine never lasts that long - LOL. But even if honey does crystallize, it's not ruined or spoiled. Just let the jar soak in hot water for a bit and it will loosen back up.

Also, crystallized honey is great for an exfoliating scrub on your face! It's chock full of vitamins and antioxidants. I buy honey hoping that some of it will hurry up and crystallize so I can use it for a scrub! Local, raw honey tends to crystallize fairly quickly but store bought "generic" honey doesn't seem to ever crystallize.

I am growing parsley for the first time so far this year. I live in northeast Texas and it's doing well now but the real heat hasn't hit yet so we'll see. Typically I have great luck with basils and mints and rosemary, lavendar, oregano, etc. but sage and cilantro have seemed to struggle and get spindly when the "real" heat of a Texas summer kicks in. So I don't know about parsley yet but I'm betting it doesn't like 100 degree summers.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:45 AM

75 posts, read 71,518 times
I'm growing thyme, lemon thyme, lemon verbena, rosemary, borage, basil, dill, flat-leafed parsley, lavender, oregano, sage, chives, and (not entirely on purpose) mint.

I use thyme in most chicken dishes. I haven't grown lemon thyme before, but I'm looking forward to trying it with chicken and fish. Lemon verbena will mostly be a drink garnish unless I get a ton of it—then I'll experiment baking with it. I love brown butter and rosemary pan chicken, and it's nice in a red meat dish, too. Borage is mostly for the pretty flowers and the bees. But the leaves are nice in salads, too. Basil will join cherry tomatoes, garlic and olive oil on pasta. The dill will end up in cheese and fish dishes. Parsley gets chopped up and sprinkled on all kinds of things, but I'm also growing it for black swallowtail butterflies. Lavender overwintered, and I like putting the flowers in the occasional sangria. But I'm mostly growing it to run my hand over it and smell the lovely scent. Oregano will probably end up in a tomato dish or two. Sage is another great herb with chicken. Chives go in egg and cheese dishes. Mint will probably be a drink garnish.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:17 AM

572 posts, read 420,915 times
Basil - for pesto, tomato sauce, and in homemade salad dressing
Mint - for tea, in homemade salad dressing, in salads
Parsley - drying it and using it as a garnish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or