Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 10:11 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

And how will you use them?

Basil...pesto of course, over tomato and mozz cheese, in fresh spring rolls, Thai food
Dill...potato salad, carrot dishes, dips, cucumbers
Thyme...chicken dishes, mushroom dishes
Rosemary...potato dishes, chicken
Cilantro...Mex dishes, in guacamole
Parsley...in just about anything
Chives...potatoes, salads
Mint...teas mostly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 10:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Yum! I love growing and using fresh herbs!

This year I am growing:

Three types of mint
Parsley
Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Three types of oregano
Three types of basil
Chives
Cilantro

In addition to simply using these herbs in all sorts of cooking (I LOVE just going outside and picking them!), I am also steeping them in honey for different flavors of honey. I use them in tea as well. My favorite cuisines are Italian, Mexican, and Asian. Oh, and just plain ol' "home cooking." I use our herbs often and generously!

Old 05-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yum! I love growing and using fresh herbs!

This year I am growing:

Three types of mint
Parsley
Sage
Rosemary
Thyme
Three types of oregano
Three types of basil
Chives
Cilantro

In addition to simply using these herbs in all sorts of cooking (I LOVE just going outside and picking them!), I am also steeping them in honey for different flavors of honey. I use them in tea as well. My favorite cuisines are Italian, Mexican, and Asian. Oh, and just plain ol' "home cooking." I use our herbs often and generously!

You must have Thai basil...? Love that.

Picking them is more fun than eating them Love going to the garden just to "check" on them...

For steeping in honey....
how long does it take and can you just put them in without any further prep??

Old 05-12-2018, 11:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You must have Thai basil...? Love that.

Picking them is more fun than eating them Love going to the garden just to "check" on them...

For steeping in honey....
how long does it take and can you just put them in without any further prep??
Oh my gosh, my daughter made me some herb honey and I was converted!

All I do is wash them and then sort of mash on them so that they release their flavor. Then I put them in the honey, a lot of them pressed down into the honey (in a small jar) and I've let them sit for two weeks and can already really taste the herbs. My daughter made me sage honey, but honestly, I just picked all my herbs and put them in a small jar of honey together and it tastes good and earthy. I think it will be great in black tea!

I will try separate herbs or more balanced herb combos in the future but so far I love the mixture of all of them too. I really like the mint flavor. I think just mint will be my next venture.

And yes, I have Thai basil and I love it! Basil goes crazy here and I love it in every form! And like you, I "check on my herbs" just about every day and I always pick a leaf or two and press them and smell them - ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
I grow several basils but my favorite is lemon basil. It is very a delicate plant that does not get very bushy so I seed many. The fragrance is just wonderful, like lemon verbena. So wonderful in sauteed chicken dishes. I dry it to use in summer because it does not grow well in Florida heat. Even as it goes to seed the soft seed heads are good too.

Going to try growing Cuban mint this summer to use in Vietnamese bun noodle salad. Everyone says mint grows like crazy but mine usually dies in pots and am afraid to let it loose in the garden.

Others I like to grow: dill, fennel, parsley. Some for me and some for butterflies.
Hoping to start beekeeping later in the year so starting plants now for them. Herbs are always good for bees and have grown borage in the past but it did not return. Might try again.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Haven't tried lemon basil...sounds great for chicken.

You could plant the mint in a pot then bury the pot INTO the ground. That keeps it cooler with more moisture retention plus curbs the sprawl of the mint.

Would love to try growing fennel...

Old 05-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, my daughter made me some herb honey and I was converted!

All I do is wash them and then sort of mash on them so that they release their flavor. Then I put them in the honey, a lot of them pressed down into the honey (in a small jar) and I've let them sit for two weeks and can already really taste the herbs. My daughter made me sage honey, but honestly, I just picked all my herbs and put them in a small jar of honey together and it tastes good and earthy. I think it will be great in black tea!

I will try separate herbs or more balanced herb combos in the future but so far I love the mixture of all of them too. I really like the mint flavor. I think just mint will be my next venture.

And yes, I have Thai basil and I love it! Basil goes crazy here and I love it in every form! And like you, I "check on my herbs" just about every day and I always pick a leaf or two and press them and smell them - ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Think I'll try the mint honey too...
thanks for the idea!

Old 05-12-2018, 04:07 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I have a lovely stand of oregano that comes up every year and needs dividing often. There's tarragon that comes up every year and chives.

My dill disappeared so I just picked some of that up, How did that happen? Also got some conventional parsley.

Planted some globe basil and will be planting garlic chives seeds that Chef Daughter gave me. It's still chilly here.

There's wild catnip and chamomile that I allow here and there.

I also have small patches of edible flowers for my summer salads and desserts - nasturtiums, pansies and violets. I've given up on lavender. It just won't winter over for me.

I love walking by and brushing my hand over the herbs.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:29 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Marjoram
Thyme
Rosemary
Basil
Mint
Chives
Parsley

Old 05-12-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have a lovely stand of oregano that comes up every year and needs dividing often. There's tarragon that comes up every year and chives.

My dill disappeared so I just picked some of that up, How did that happen? Also got some conventional parsley.

Planted some globe basil and will be planting garlic chives seeds that Chef Daughter gave me. It's still chilly here.

There's wild catnip and chamomile that I allow here and there.

I also have small patches of edible flowers for my summer salads and desserts - nasturtiums, pansies and violets. I've given up on lavender. It just won't winter over for me.

I love walking by and brushing my hand over the herbs.

Lucky you, a Chef daughter! Did she get you into edible flowers??

Only thyme, rosemary and chives can overwinter here....

for some reason, tarragon is hard to find in this area but love it.

Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden