U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,302 posts, read 50,365,166 times

Advertisements

I recently started using a local product that is just amazing, with lots of blooms now on plants that were barely blooming at all before, and huge crops from the vegetable garden. We get it at a local nursery, not cheap but is well worth it.

I also use MiracleGro, but I get it at Costco in a large plastic container that contains 4 sleeves, and lasts a year.

https://www.hendrikusorganics.com/organic-fertilizers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 02:22 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,462,789 times
You want good fertilizer for free? Take a few bags of grass clippings or leaves and bury them in your garden. Put a light coating of soil over the mulch, then plant your plants or seeds. Works better than any store bought fertilizer.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:32 PM

2,664 posts, read 1,257,913 times
I once worked to make compost from leaves and grass for a long time. I used the winged tool to turn it regularly and such. Then I moved before it was ready! Since then I mulch clippings and even leaves (takes more than one run over for leaves). My grass loves it, and I don't need that much fertilizer, just once in the spring.

Old 05-15-2018, 04:46 AM

64,784 posts, read 47,110,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
What's happened in the garden fertilizer market these days. I finally have a decent patch of soil, after years of container growing only, yet all I can find is Epsoma organic products - very expensive for what you get, and very slow acting, more like a soil amendment. The other choice seems to be small boxes of miracle grow, a quick acting, totally soluble "quick green up" type product, that you can only get in smaller package sizes.

Some years back, I used to be able to get pelletized balanced fertilizer, with slow release nitrogen, but that seems to have disappeared from the market except for lawn fertilizer.

Anyone know what gives? I'm looking for bulk 20+ pound bags of something more than Epsoma's 3-3-3 or so stuff. More like 10-10-10 or better.
20lb+ bags? Pretty sure you don't see them because there's not a big demand for that much for home growers. Sounds like something a farmer needs.

I see the 14-14-14 slow release ferts around here in stores but not that size... I love the results from Osmocote.

there's also online options to purchase and ship.

Have you tried asking you're local garden center?

Old 05-15-2018, 06:43 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,257,913 times
Osmocote and its competitors are great, at a price. In the wholesale trade, they sell some pretty big bags of the stuff, but the bigger bags don't seem to trickle down to the retail level. The big bags are use by commercial growers in the container trade, where it's ideal.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 AM

1,468 posts, read 520,206 times
Good ole horse manure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or