U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 05:41 PM

234 posts, read 72,301 times

Advertisements

I have two zuchini and two cuke plants but only one garden 16' deep ceramic pot.

do you think I should plant a zuchini or lemon cukes in the ceramic pot? I have a mini trellas for it

everything else is going into raised garden beds hubby made but have extra plants which don't fit.

Thanks so much

Last edited by ItIsWritten.; 05-12-2018 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 07:46 PM

1,406 posts, read 512,627 times
I would say the zucchini. It doesn't send off 'runners' which would be hard to deal with, even with a trellis. Because those cucumber plants keep growing with runners and then they're weighed down with produce. It'd be a mess. The zucchini will get extremely big with large leaves but no runners. The 'fruit' is produced in the center. Might want to make sure you have a wide pot because one plant will produce multiple zucchini. Make sure you get a good soil mix!

Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM

15,434 posts, read 18,710,520 times
Whatever you choose, you can only put one plant in that pot, and you will need to be sure it gets fertilizer and plenty of water. It will outgrow the pot pretty quickly, so it will have to rely on you to give those rootbound roots what it needs - enough water, and regular fertilizer.

I like using Miracle Gro fertilizer. You can put about 1/8 teaspoon into a gallon of water, and just use that every time you wanter them. It's a watered down amount of fertilizer, that you can use every time you water, so they're getting all the food they need.

But, you're going to need more pots, is the bottom line.

Old Yesterday, 04:37 AM

878 posts, read 456,087 times
zuke

Old Today, 06:21 PM

234 posts, read 72,301 times
thank you all! I obtained a few food grade 5 gallon buckets today at the health food store. It was being thrown out with the trash so we'll drill some holes and use them instead.

Happy Gardening All!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or