U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 PM

522 posts, read 202,756 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite flowers are Lilies. I sent for Calla Lilies on Brecks.com last year, and they did not survive. I usually look for the zones number. I am on zone 7, so since I saw zones 3 to 10, I sent for them, but failed to see further down "lift in fall in zones 3 to 7." Now, I am confused. Was it my fault for leaving them in the ground? With bulbs: does the SIZE OF THE BULB matters regarding weather?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 04:48 PM

Default Calla Lilies

Sometimes I wonder, if this is done on purpose to sway the buyer..........just a thought.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:51 PM

7,035 posts, read 8,998,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
One of my favorite flowers are Lilies. I sent for Calla Lilies on Brecks.com last year, and they did not survive. I usually look for the zones number. I am on zone 7, so since I saw zones 3 to 10, I sent for them, but failed to see further down "lift in fall in zones 3 to 7." Now, I am confused. Was it my fault for leaving them in the ground? With bulbs: does the SIZE OF THE BULB matters regarding weather?

Thank you,
I have calla's for years and was in zone 7 and never left them in the ground. I would say that is why they didn't survive. I always lift all my bulbs even elephant ears.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have calla's for years and was in zone 7 and never left them in the ground. I would say that is why they didn't survive. I always lift all my bulbs even elephant ears.

Yes, but the point that I am trying to understand is this, and it is related to the zone numbers. Breck's states that they are for zones 3 to 10, so my zone 7 is included in those numbers. And why they have to be then lifted in zone 7? Maybe there is something that I am missing, in relations to understanding the zones?

Thank you, for your help.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

5,256 posts, read 5,296,830 times
Quote:

Thank you,
Quote:
Yes, but the point that I am trying to understand is this, and it is related to the zone numbers. Breck's states that they are for zones 3 to 10, so my zone 7 is included in those numbers. And why they have to be then lifted in zone 7? Maybe there is something that I am missing, in relations to understanding the zones?

Thank you, for your help.

It means that in the spring, summer and fall the calla bulbs are safe in the ground in zones 3 to 10 but in the winter zones 3 to 7 are too cold to leave the bulbs in the ground in the winter so the bulbs in 3 - 7 zones must me taken up before winter. Zones 8, 9 and 10 are warm enough in winter that there's less risk of the ground freezing so it's safe to leave the bulbs in the ground during winter in those zones.

Regarding the size of bulbs and weather - the only difference about size is that big bulbs will take a little longer than small bulb to freeze right through to the center. But even if only the outer layers of bulbs get frozen and not the middle the damage has still been done on the outer layers and so the whole bulb dies and turns into a rotted, mushy mess.

I live in a warm coastal Mediterranean type zone 9b climate and although I don't grow calla lilies, if I did I would still take them up for the winter because here we never know from one winter to the next when we might get an unexpected deep, deep arctic blast in January that freezes the ground to a depth of 8 or 9 inches for a few days. Even only a few hours of freezing temperatures can be enough to kill calla bulbs.

Old Today, 04:24 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,453,984 times
Zone 7b here, we should lift bulbs here too, but I've found a thick layer (6" or better) of chopped leaves have protected our Canna and gladiolus bulbs.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old Today, 11:18 AM

You are all so wonderful and helpful, and I thank you for the privilege of your time. God Bless.

Old Today, 08:28 PM

12 posts, read 648 times
When I lived in Washington, DC I grew calla lilies in my plot at a community garden (zone 7a). They came back year after year. When I moved to rural Maryland (also zone 7a), southeast of DC, I brought the bulbs with me, but they didn't make through their first winter. Micro-climates must have something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or