U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:29 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,854,240 times

Advertisements

Gnats. Noseeums. Mosquitos. Horseflies. And ticks.

I could deal with the mosquitoes with one of those companies that sprays stuff all over the yard, but what about the gnats and noseeums? I can't find a cure for those, and I have looked. To those nasty critters, DEET is just a little seasoning sauce applied before the tasty meal.

Last month, I put up one of those electric bug-zapper lights. I've personally killed several million moths, but they don't seem to be good for much else.

Last week, I found a tick on my thigh. Ick. And the horseflies? OMG. They literally swarm me.

I'm keeping the grass cut super short, but is there anything else I can do?

I am hypersensitive to bug bites and my body seems to have an extreme reaction to horseflies, mosquitoes and ticks. I'd rather not douse myself with DEET several times a day.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:22 AM

16,343 posts, read 49,308,914 times
I'm also sensitive to various bug bites. Fortunately, I am not of the blood type that is an attractor, and my property is relatively bug free so I'm not in your situation.

Bugs looking to bite and/or feed commonly have two main attractors - meat smell and carbon dioxide.

Do a search for homemade big stinky wasp traps. That may help with the horsefly and facefly problem.

If there are nearby farms, visit Tractor Supply and get some literature about how a product added to the feed prevents the larvae from developing in the manure. Give copies to your neighbors.

There are mosquito traps that are based on the idea of leaving a trail of CO2 that leads them in.

Ticks are nothing to fool around with. The number of diseases they carry and the damages they do to humans are just beginning to be recognized. They are attracted to light colors and CO2. (Dragging a white sheet across a tick area is a common way to collect and count the density of the population.) Wear dark or black clothing, especially below the waist. If you have game trails across your property, consider fencing the areas you frequent to keep the game out.

Old Today, 11:31 AM

12,475 posts, read 16,769,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Gnats. Noseeums. Mosquitos. Horseflies. And ticks.

I could deal with the mosquitoes with one of those companies that sprays stuff all over the yard, but what about the gnats and noseeums? I can't find a cure for those, and I have looked. To those nasty critters, DEET is just a little seasoning sauce applied before the tasty meal.

Last month, I put up one of those electric bug-zapper lights. I've personally killed several million moths, but they don't seem to be good for much else.

Last week, I found a tick on my thigh. Ick. And the horseflies? OMG. They literally swarm me.

I'm keeping the grass cut super short, but is there anything else I can do?

I am hypersensitive to bug bites and my body seems to have an extreme reaction to horseflies, mosquitoes and ticks. I'd rather not douse myself with DEET several times a day.

Suggestions?

yes there is , get a product on amazon called tallstar 1 guaranteed you will not have anymore bugs period but you might want to warn your neighbor because you will send them hauling butt to their yard so you both should do something at the same time . Good luck

Old Today, 11:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 5,289,948 times
Make your own insect repellents. The Four Thieves Repellent recipe listed at this website is quite effective. There are other recipes and tips that might be of use to you as well: https://wellnessmama.com/2565/homemade-bug-spray/

You never mentioned if you have gardens. You could put lots of plants around your house that are known repellents of biting insects. Here is a list of 31 plants that are known to repel insects. It says they're for mosquitoes but I know they also repel other stinging or biting insects including fleas and ticks. https://bestplants.com/plants-that-repel-mosquitoes/

Last but not least for some immediate relief - find an Avon Lady and get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft bath oil to put directly on your skin. If you do some research about it online you'll find the Avon SSS has been used by hunters and even military troops on training maneuvers in the high north where thick swarms of biting insects and ticks is a much worse scenario than anything you'll ever encounter south of the 49th parallel.

It would be helpful if you would describe your property's environment - i.e. are you on rural property, do you have a lot of wind breaks and/or tall shade trees around your property, are there farms nearby that have livestock and/or manure piles or liquid manure pits on them, do you have livestock or a lot of wildlife on your own property, are there water sources on your property that would add to general humidity. These are all things that attract biting insects and it's possible you can make some alterations to make your property less attractive.

Old Today, 12:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,854,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

It would be helpful if you would describe your property's environment - i.e. are you on rural property, do you have a lot of wind breaks and/or tall shade trees around your property, are there farms nearby that have livestock and/or manure piles or liquid manure pits on them, do you have livestock or a lot of wildlife on your own property, are there water sources on your property that would add to general humidity. These are all things that attract biting insects and it's possible you can make some alterations to make your property less attractive.

I'm on a 1/2-acre suburban lot in southeastern Virginia (just west of the Hampton Roads area), but my part of the neighborhood (a dozen houses or so) is on a small peninsula. The marshland (and there's a lot of it) backs up to the rear of my property.

The humidity is very high in this area.

I have well-cultivated suburban lawns around me, but there's a big horse farm about 1/4 mile away. Less than 3/4s of a mile is a 500-acre plant nursery.

There are a lot of trees around here.

Old Today, 12:47 PM

5,251 posts, read 5,289,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm on a 1/2-acre suburban lot in southeastern Virginia (just west of the Hampton Roads area), but my part of the neighborhood (a dozen houses or so) is on a small peninsula. The marshland (and there's a lot of it) backs up to the rear of my property.

The humidity is very high in this area.

I have well-cultivated suburban lawns around me, but there's a big horse farm about 1/4 mile away. Less than 3/4s of a mile is a 500-acre plant nursery.

There are a lot of trees around here.

Thanks. Well, with all those attractants around you there's nothing much you can do about what's off your own property. I think you are stuck with the bugs for this year and you will have to resort to using repellents on yourself. You might also consider regular smudging of your property with sage smoke.

Just my opinion, but I think you should plan ahead for the future of climate change and increasing heat, humidity and insects in your location with the progression of time. I won't suggest that any tall shade trees be removed to open up and increase air circulation (insects like pockets of still air, they have a harder time flying in open, moving air) but I do think you should consider planting your own property with some eucalyptus and cedar and other repelling plants/trees from that list I gave you. I'll also suggest that you approach the horse farm and the plant nursery and ask them what (if anything) they are or will be doing to keep down insect activity on their properties. You might get some helpful tips from them.

Old Today, 01:05 PM
Status: "Everybody told me you can't get far on $37 and a *** Guitar" (set 4 days ago)

19,769 posts, read 19,361,369 times
Mosquito Magnet® - CO2 Mosquito Traps That Work

have had ours for more than 10 years and never have to use bug spray within several hundred feet of it next to a Minnesota wetlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or