U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 08:06 AM

839 posts, read 1,168,300 times

Advertisements

Last year and the year before, I planted our peppers and tomatoes only to have a few of them become very sick because of a period of cool, rainy weather and a subsequent fungal infection. I rotated the beds this year but since I planted two weeks ago, we had a full week of rain with about 6" total expected over the course of the week (mind you I live in NJ, not the Pacific NW). The rain is expected to subside in a few days and I'm now holding my breath because of the concern that they will be wiped out.

For the record, I have raised bed gardens with reasonably well-drained soil, amended the soil with cow manure and mulched with straw. I wanted to hear the opinions of others as to whether this long, cool, rainy period will be the death blow that I'm anticipating, and what, if any steps I can take to remediate it if it happens? I have been looking at fungicides online but don't know what's best for tomatoes, and of course I'd like to use something that would be safe for eating afterwards.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 09:45 AM

2,097 posts, read 2,702,702 times
You are ahead of the game with raised beds, but a downside is that they can allow disease organisms to build up. A good book on Tomatoes is: Epic Tomatoes, by Craig LeHoullier.

Perhaps next year, stick with disease resistant varieties. Try "Totally Tomatoes" for resistant varieties.

Fusarium Wilt is attributed to wet conditions.
Verticillium Wilt, Bacterial Wilt, attributed to wet conditions.
Bacterial Spot, attributed to wet conditions
Early Blight, attributed to wet conditions.
Blossom End Rot, wet conditions and lack of available calcium.

I have used "Daconil" fungicide, available at Home Depot, Lowes.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-18-2018, 10:45 AM

839 posts, read 1,168,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
You are ahead of the game with raised beds, but a downside is that they can allow disease organisms to build up. A good book on Tomatoes is: Epic Tomatoes, by Craig LeHoullier.

Perhaps next year, stick with disease resistant varieties. Try "Totally Tomatoes" for resistant varieties.

Fusarium Wilt is attributed to wet conditions.
Verticillium Wilt, Bacterial Wilt, attributed to wet conditions.
Bacterial Spot, attributed to wet conditions
Early Blight, attributed to wet conditions.
Blossom End Rot, wet conditions and lack of available calcium.

I have used "Daconil" fungicide, available at Home Depot, Lowes.

Regards
Gemstone1
Thank you for the info! How were your results with Daconil? If it worked well for you I will run up to Home Depot this weekend for some.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:13 AM

910 posts, read 521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
Thank you for the info! How were your results with Daconil? If it worked well for you I will run up to Home Depot this weekend for some.
go to Lowe's instead..Lowes gives 10% discount to ALL veterans whereas Home Depot gives 10% to service connected disability customers only (unless they have changed their policy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or