Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 12:06 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,650,159 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the replies so far! Sounds like I might have to just try and see how it goes. At worst, as Woody Allen said in Annie Hall: "entymology is a rapidly growing field".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,330,205 times
I've read in a number of places that wasps HATE peppermint oil. As long as it wouldn't repel hummingbirds a drop of oil somewhere on the feeder might do the trick.

On a side note I've had a few run ins with wasps and they're nasty. If anyone has a source of relatively cheap peppermint rather than the pure organic types commonly used in diffusers I'd love to hear about it. I have some shrubs that need trimming and i've seen wasps around them frequently, I'd like to mix up a peppermint oil solution and spray before I start cutting.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,035,605 times
We've got some bumblebees, no hummingbirds, no butterflies and no honeybees. I haven't seen any praying mantis, either. I did hear a tree frog in the front tree which was a first.
Back in early June I did see monarchs and tiger swallowtails in the mountains and forests towards the center part of Pa. We also have buzzing cicada now which we call locusts. And spotted lantern flies are everywhere.....
Last year I noticed grasshoppers were scarce and the tick population never materialized like they forecast. Also ladybugs were much fewer in that late summer and fall. Stinkbugs also weren't as bad as in years past.
As always... Damn you, Monsanto.
Hey I have black peppermint growing right under the hummingbird feeder which I use in tea. I'll try rubbing some leaves on the feeder.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 AM

50,315 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
The answer is in a quality feeder, that is not gravity fed. This type of feeder will become a problem when the sun beats on it. What happens is the juice expands from the heat, and causes it to leak at the ports. This is the type you want to set up. While I am not endorsing this particular brand, it is the one I've used for years.
Aspects Hummingbird Feeders
I am wondering how those feeders work, exactly? How do the birds get to to nectar when the level gets low?

I went to the website, but it didn’t really explain.

I’ve given up in the gravity type too, because they’re so hard to clean. I keep things blooming in the yard for them instead.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:22 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,091,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am wondering how those feeders work, exactly? How do the birds get to to nectar when the level gets low?

I went to the website, but it didn’t really explain.

I’ve given up in the gravity type too, because they’re so hard to clean. I keep things blooming in the yard for them instead.
The bowls are shallow enough so their beaks, combined with their long tongues can reach all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Different sizes, equal a different radius.

Old 07-19-2018, 05:40 AM

50,315 posts, read 63,868,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
The bowls are shallow enough so their beaks, combined with their long tongues can reach all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Different sizes, equal a different radius.
Ok, thanks.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 827 times
Thank you for the advice on the ant moats! I’ve tried the Vaseline and although it worked, it was very short lived just became a clumpy mess!

Old 07-21-2018, 03:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,639,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Has anyone had any practical experience with being able to attract Hummingbirds to a feeder, without also attracting Wasps (etc.)? I have a small balcony, not a yard so planting flowers to attract the birds isn't a real option; was going to try a feeder. We see both Wasps and the occasional Hummingbird, so they're both in the area. It seems like what attracts one would attract the other. Thanks for any suggestions that might have worked!
I don't know about others but we have tried. We do get hummingbirds just by some natural nector but we cn not use anything any stronger. Hubby is terribly allergic to wasp stings. When we have tried mixtures to attract the birds, the wasps are everywhere.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
We have two of those Aspect Humzinger feeders. Tons of hummingbirds, and no wasps ( or ants!).

Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,193,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Has anyone had any practical experience with being able to attract Hummingbirds to a feeder, without also attracting Wasps (etc.)? I have a small balcony, not a yard so planting flowers to attract the birds isn't a real option; was going to try a feeder. We see both Wasps and the occasional Hummingbird, so they're both in the area. It seems like what attracts one would attract the other. Thanks for any suggestions that might have worked!
I had to quit feeding hummingbirds because I couldn't keep wasps away. So, I'll be watching for tips too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden