Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 02:21 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times

Advertisements

What can I do to minimize tick and chigger bites while keeping rabbits, chipmunks, birds, butterflies, squirrels, deer, the odd bear, the odd exploring cat, porch and deck sitting dogs and cats perfectly unaffected and unharmed?

Any hints and trick to do to myself, my clothing, process afterwards, as well as any type of spray safe to all except the tick and chigger. Don't like those guys.

Have been bitten and dug into by both over the years. But they are particularly bad this year. And the areas I am working in are particularly overgrown.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 02:40 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
You are wearing long sleeves, long pants, hat, boots, right?? Best prevention.

Are you using OFF or Deep Woods sprays containing deet? Spray on yourself away from plants and animals

Chiggers are the worst....

Last edited by greatblueheron; 05-26-2018 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Thanks. Yes to the clothing. Deep Woods used to be my go to but last year it wasn't working for me so I went to Coleman's Deet products. Pulled two ticks out a couple days ago when I was being so careful.

I am told I need to somehow attract a lot of possums who eat those things.

Had chiggers which I discovered last night. Fortunately I don't get the red ravaged skin reaction like a friend did who was helping with cutting back. But I do sit around with Avarest from the pump container all over when I feel infected with chiggers. A couple of hours.

I'm working more now with what is already growing, volunteers, seeds dropped by birds, rather than planting new. There is a beautiful wealth of growth. But all the growth means left alone a while. So, buggier.

I want to make the best use of what we have now. So I don't want to plan something that the deer will sleep on at night and the occasional bear cub will burrow into and then complain. I figure the animals were here first so why do something when I know they will still be around. I find what's coming out is nice and also will be low upkeep in the future.

There are some tall things that need to be cut back and I have a guy we've known for years who helped with some before storms and tornadoes hit nearby and elsewhere...not right here. He'll be back after storm clean up in other areas where he'll make more money. He's great. He'll climb where a machine won't fit. He is fine with barter so I found a great home for some of our furniture when we moved to a smaller house. But I only want him for the high places, not even the shorter pines I can cut myself.

Plan is anything cleared away for a view or because it's in a noticeable spot but is growing too sparsely like a stand of pines with few branches will become outside holiday decorations, boughs, cut to pot and start, etc. A few for us, but mostly free to friends and neighbors (so those don't need to be cut right away);
When the birds finish nesting in the overgrown holly, that will be trimmed back in time for holiday use, too.
Save quite a bit but tidy it up;
Divide and transplant quite a bit (lots of tall ornamental grasses);
Donate some little things coming up.
We have put things at the start of our driveway by the road with a "Free" sign and they are gone quickly. We have friends whose landscaping was destroyed in floods and they are not far away but, thank goodness, we didn't get the floods so they may be able to take a few things.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Your have quite a few plans! Better you than me.

Very nice that you are considering all the wildlife.....thank you.
Most don't give it a thought...

Old 05-26-2018, 04:50 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I don't know what area you're in, but can you have chickens? Chickens loves ticks, they eat them all day long.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I used to use Avon Skin So Soft to help keep the chiggers away when I lived in TN. The easiest way to apply it, is to put it on your skin while you're still wet after your shower, then towel off. Makes your skin soft, and the bugs don't like the smell. It's basically an oil, like baby oil.

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-body/skin-so-soft

Old 05-26-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Your have quite a few plans! Better you than me.

Very nice that you are considering all the wildlife.....thank you.
Most don't give it a thought...
Thanks. I'm something of a wildlife advocate.

We'll see how far these plan go. Especially with all the rain.

As far as the holly bush. Now tall and wide. I am told the birds that just left the nest, the mama bird can nest one or two more times. We'll see how that goes. Birds used to stay in the bush during winter since the dryer vented out in that direction making it nice and toasty. But one day I was doing laundry and watching a bird perched outside. It did a double take and looked right at me. I think he did not realize a human was behind that nice hot air.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I don't know what area you're in, but can you have chickens? Chickens loves ticks, they eat them all day long.
I do love chickens. They were my job when I was a child. Our area doesn't allow them, sadly. I need to be a few miles further in agriculture zoning. We have thought of moving at some point. One deterrent is that in agriculture zoning there is a law that by right (theirs, not ours) those towers can be put up on your land. Doesn't make sense to me. I would like chickens though. You're also allowed a rooster there.

I have a friend who has chickens not far from me and in my zoning, not ag. Somehow they connive to get out and meet her when she pulls in her cul-de-sac like dogs would. She shews them in. Neighbors have no problem with them. My neighbors are covered back, front and one side. But the cast of characters on the other side...they might tell and it would break my heart to have to part with them.

But you have me thinking. My friend who cuts trees has some chickens. I wonder if I could sort of rent them a while....don't know how chickens are about new places,do you?

Old 05-26-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I used to use Avon Skin So Soft to help keep the chiggers away when I lived in TN. The easiest way to apply it, is to put it on your skin while you're still wet after your shower, then towel off. Makes your skin soft, and the bugs don't like the smell. It's basically an oil, like baby oil.

https://www.avon.com/category/bath-body/skin-so-soft

Thank you. So it really works then? I used to hear about it but it seemed to me to have a fragrance. But I understand now since it's an oil. That could block them. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:06 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I do love chickens. They were my job when I was a child. Our area doesn't allow them, sadly. I need to be a few miles further in agriculture zoning. We have thought of moving at some point. One deterrent is that in agriculture zoning there is a law that by right (theirs, not ours) those towers can be put up on your land. Doesn't make sense to me. I would like chickens though. You're also allowed a rooster there.

I have a friend who has chickens not far from me and in my zoning, not ag. Somehow they connive to get out and meet her when she pulls in her cul-de-sac like dogs would. She shews them in. Neighbors have no problem with them. My neighbors are covered back, front and one side. But the cast of characters on the other side...they might tell and it would break my heart to have to part with them.

But you have me thinking. My friend who cuts trees has some chickens. I wonder if I could sort of rent them a while....don't know how chickens are about new places,do you?
I think they're adaptable as long as they're healthy and not mistreated. I've known chickens who lived in NYC in four different instances and they seemed OK.

I can't have them here, either, but you might be able to bend the rule if you're just babysitting now and then. Without a rooster to crow at dawn I don't know what anyone could complain about. Especially if everyone knows they eat ticks. Nobody likes ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden