Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 AM

6,749 posts, read 5,445,141 times

Advertisements

This year we really had no spring.

We went basically from winter directly into summer.

As a result, April was still frozen tundra, while May began in the 70s to near 80.

So....my apples budded in April, and even started blossoming in the sunshine, then of course got frozen again, and again every night, since I don't think the temp ever got above 35° any day for a high until the very end of the last week of April.

So, what do i do? Do I leave the dead frozen blossoms on the branches? Do I snip the dead frozen blossoms off?
Leave it and let nature take whatever course it will take?

I didn't think to cover the blossom, but that may have damaged them just as much as frozen weather.

Next year, if it happens again, I will think about covering the trees with sheets.
This year I didn't think they'd blossom until After the weather turned warmer. Guess I was wrong.

Also, I have a cherry tree that did not blossom, and same deal, but they have only buds that did not blossom, so should I snip these off Too? Or leave the unopened but froze-out buds on the branches?
Any N.Y. grove owners or others who have faced the same thing this year or another year?

Thanks for any help. I want the trees to naturally survive and reblossom next year. They are young, but should bring some good fruit next year if not damaged beyond repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,077,171 times
Nothing to do, but let nature takes its course.

Edit:The tree will be fine, and may even grow a little stronger by not bearing fruit this year.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:44 AM

1,342 posts, read 770,935 times
Leave it, as is.
Experienced gardeners make a bonfire during the spring frost, so warm smoke goes to the tree and saves the blossom.
You have to calculate direction and height, obviously.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 47,608,287 times
You can just leave it alone.

I put Christmas lights into my fruit trees, set on a thermostat. They produce enough heat to prevent freezing. However, it only works with the old large size bulb incandescent Christmas lights and it might not be possible to buy those any more.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone.

I didn't realize tgey were even budding as I had not been out to the backyard, and did my think of that, being it was still a frozen tundra with snow and such.

Also thus is my first stab at growing fruit trees, and I only have a multi apple grafted tree, a gala apple AND tge cherry tree. Want to add a hearty peach tree to ve complete.

So few,trees, first timer, but thinking when it stayed soooo cold tgat the trees may blossom "early", ven though fir them it was time.

Live learn, and do better next time.

Thanks

Old 05-28-2018, 09:22 PM

32,530 posts, read 47,608,287 times
I've had fruit blossoms survive unprotected to 26 degrees, as long as the cold snap doesn't go on for too long.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:33 AM

17,284 posts, read 11,142,393 times
Apple blossoms are surprisingly cold tolerant.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've had fruit blossoms survive unprotected to 26 degrees, as long as the cold snap doesn't go on for too long.
It lasted the whole month of April.

That was the problem. Night drill down to single digits, and lucky if we got above freezing during the day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden