U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 988,406 times

Advertisements

I guess if one steps into a garden site, asking how to rid themselves of a well established garden you're just not going to get the answers you were hoping for. I would hazard a guess, that a good many of us are striving to do the opposite as what you want to do, which is more beds and less grass. As you stated you are not a gardener, and it seems you really don't want to become one. With that said, my suggestion would be for you to retitle your original post and post it in the 'house' forum where they will not be as biased to what you want done. I have to say, sometimes I feel as you about all my flower beds, and would love to rip them all out and plant grass. Then spring rolls around and that is the furthest thing from my mind. Yes I'm a gardener. I wish you all the best in your quest for the right answers, and to the lovely lawn you have in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:27 AM

445 posts, read 567,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
I guess if one steps into a garden site, asking how to rid themselves of a well established garden you're just not going to get the answers you were hoping for. I would hazard a guess, that a good many of us are striving to do the opposite as what you want to do, which is more beds and less grass. As you stated you are not a gardener, and it seems you really don't want to become one. With that said, my suggestion would be for you to retitle your original post and post it in the 'house' forum where they will not be as biased to what you want done. I have to say, sometimes I feel as you about all my flower beds, and would love to rip them all out and plant grass. Then spring rolls around and that is the furthest thing from my mind. Yes I'm a gardener. I wish you all the best in your quest for the right answers, and to the lovely lawn you have in mind.
What you say--you make some great points. But I'm glad I posted here--& appreciate all of the advice from everyone. It's not so much that I don't want to become a gardener.......it's just that those 2 gigantic beds seem too much. Esp. the one with those invasive vine weeds. I think that's what's really bugging me. And I think the huge front bed that wraps around 1/2 the house almost--a thick layer of mulch might be some of the answer. I'd have to get it professionally done, but that's OK.

There's a supposedly great nursery about 20 miles from here that a couple of the landscapers I've talked to have recommended. I think I should go there with some of the pics I've posted here, & try to get some advice & ideas. Also the guy down the street from me that seems like a major gardener--next time I see him out, I might ask him to come over & give me some ideas.

Based on what everyone is saying here, I'm going to tread carefully before doing anything too major. I also don't want to blow too much money--there are other things needed here--you haven't seen pics of the old cracked concrete patio in back, or the horrid crumbling little shed back there. Oh, & the poster that advised getting rid of the Barberry bush--the landscaper told me much the same thing. I don't mind paying for some new bushes.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 988,406 times
That is so good to hear Woody. Glad you are not taking an extreme approach. We are gonna make a gardener out of you yet! Also glad you took my post in how it was intended. Oh, and that Barberry bush? It's also a tick harborer. So I'd lose that one real fast.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 AM

980 posts, read 281,496 times
Some good ideas in your last post WoodyWW. I was going to suggest the same. Looks like even your next door neighbor has some nice plantings. There may be a gardening club or just a loosely formed group of men o women really into gardening in your precise environment.

You may be surprised to even find some people just waiting to see if you ask for help which they'd gladly give...or waiting to see if you did not want some of your plantings and they'd love to adopt them.

Now's the time to get networking in your area. Planting and moving-and-planting time will be upon you up there before you know it.

Keep us updated.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:10 AM

504 posts, read 198,493 times
Oh, I agree it would be sad to see all of those beds returned to grass. :-(

I've posted before about how much I hate to mow, and laying down more sod or seeding just seems like creating more work for yourself in the long run.

There is a good granular product called Preen that I sprinkle down in my beds in the spring before I lay any new mulch. Then I sprinkle a second layer on top of the mulch to let the rain wash it in. Preen has a weed inhibitor plus plant food, and it seems there is then very little weeding required all summer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Preen-Gar...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM
DKM

2,060 posts, read 672,700 times
Nobody seemed to give you the advice you seek. Go with the seed. Sod will not blend well with your existing lawn. Make sure you do it at the proper season for your area. Nothing harder than growing grass seed at the wrong time of year. I strongly suggest hydroseeding.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:34 PM

3,710 posts, read 6,717,617 times
Plant Reefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden