U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

2,647 posts, read 2,370,846 times

Advertisements

I have not seen the yellow plastic hanging Japanese beetle traps with the attached hanging bag much at all the last decade in NE Ohio.

My experience when younger and taking care of my parents yard was that the bags attracted more to the general area. The most effective method was applying the grub killer diazinon (sp?) at the appropriate time in season to prevent massive population. Although if other neighbors did not it didn't matter.

In teen years, I would put the thicker standard old style garden gloves on and just pick them off the plant and shrub branches and crush them. Since they were 'breeding' I figured it was giving them a pleasant death while in throes of copulating and used to get most of them off the younger spruce trees. It was easy pickings - two at a time). They died doing something they liked (I presume). And those gloves after killing a few thousand stunk so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:11 AM

62,530 posts, read 44,863,748 times
They do attract them...and if you place it too far away from the plants you've now introduced the beetles into the area that will eventually find your plants if they don't find the trap first.. Bad idea IMO.

Other then planting a ton of Radishes (which work) not sure how to manage them. I used to have a problem with my cucumber plants but since putting Radishes near them, I don't.

Spraying is probably easiest and best way to control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden