Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Yeah,that's what I'm talking about.They can get woody....but never saw them like your pic. Is this in Australia as your location says?
Yep, in Sydney.

I don't think it's a catnip or Spanish thyme either. I saw their pics. Don't quite match. This is getting really creepy.

Maybe it's a crossbreed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Yep, in Sydney.

I don't think it's a catnip or Spanish thyme either. I saw their pics. Don't quite match. This is getting really creepy.

Maybe it's a crossbreed?

Watch for it to set flowers. Once it flowers you can post pictures of it again and the flowers should make it easier to identify it.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:40 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Does it smell like Witch Hazel or turpentine or some such rather than a spice or herb? I haven’t seen it for a while but I vaguely recall Witch Hazel being twiggy and with a similar leaf. I only saw wild varieties and there might be other commercial varieties.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:27 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Quote:
Yep, in Sydney.

Maybe it's a crossbreed?
You know what, I googled Australian herb that smells like urine. Clean and simple. And this is one I came up with. I need to go to sleep here but see what you think. I looks similar but seems a bit fuzzy picture to me. You can search by its name further and take a look at the flowers.

And, no wasting time...look at that name for the plant...____ off plant.

https://dilettante.wordpress.com/200...***-off-plant/

Old 06-08-2018, 11:00 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Oops! That url page can't be found^^^

Old 06-09-2018, 01:02 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Have you torn a leaf and smelled it?

Old 06-09-2018, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Does it smell like Witch Hazel or turpentine or some such rather than a spice or herb? I haven’t seen it for a while but I vaguely recall Witch Hazel being twiggy and with a similar leaf. I only saw wild varieties and there might be other commercial varieties.
Smells lemony and also urine-like. Like a mix of the two.

Now my eyes are on Lemon Balm and P*ss Off Plant (Plectranthus caninus). Lol.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Oops! That url page can't be found^^^
I think some regions are more direct in word usage and some places might think 'oh my' when to that other region it's just ordinary and direct. So maybe that's the thing.

Anyway, from other responses you get the idea. It seems like it's appropriately named and may be the plant we've been trying to figure out.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Smells lemony and also urine-like. Like a mix of the two.

Now my eyes are on Lemon Balm and P*ss Off Plant (Plectranthus caninus). Lol.
I had never heard of it before. I read a little more about it this morning. Native to Africa and South Asia. It is in the mint family. And there are a few varieties. Caninus has the nicest flower it seems...lavender flowers. I see it's also available in Canada but one could likely get it somehow in the states as well then.

Now this is really intriguing to me in that it is said to be a really great deterrent. Against racoons, cats and dogs who may want to hang out in beds you don't want them to. Perhaps many other animals as well. Could be a natural deterrent for other animals. They say one plant goes a long way so you wouldn't need many.

BUT...I wouldn't want to deter people. Well...not all people. Could be good in an area you don't want people to pick flowers or a shortcut through your property you don't want people to take. Got me thinking...

Glad you brought this up Ethereal.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I had never heard of it before. I read a little more about it this morning. Native to Africa and South Asia. It is in the mint family. And there are a few varieties. Caninus has the nicest flower it seems...lavender flowers. I see it's also available in Canada but one could likely get it somehow in the states as well then.

Now this is really intriguing to me in that it is said to be a really great deterrent. Against racoons, cats and dogs who may want to hang out in beds you don't want them to. Perhaps many other animals as well. Could be a natural deterrent for other animals. They say one plant goes a long way so you wouldn't need many.

BUT...I wouldn't want to deter people. Well...not all people. Could be good in an area you don't want people to pick flowers or a shortcut through your property you don't want people to take. Got me thinking...

Glad you brought this up Ethereal.
Thanks, but I'm not 100% sure if it's a Caninus either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden