U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2018, 06:00 AM

305 posts, read 204,090 times

Advertisements

So, about 2 months ago, i bought a hops rhizome from Tractor Supply Co. And planted it.
I didnt realize until much later, that it was supposed to be planted horizontally. I planted it vertically, with a small part of it sticking out of the ground.

After 2 months, i dont see any growth. Should i just buy a new one and try again, or do yall think it still might pop? I have read that growth usually shows after 2 weeks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:47 AM

305 posts, read 204,090 times
Any thoughts?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,206,648 times
had grown hops (Z4A) on either side of an arbor for a few years and I don't remember any particular requirements for planting orientation. It probably wouldn't harm it to dig it up and check for new root growth and check to see if it was still alive. The hops I had were quite prolific and would quickly grow from the ground up and cover the entire arbor every year. The "flowers" (bracts?) look like little green pinecones and provide some interest. Eventually decided to try something else and removed the plants without much difficulty after 6 or 7 years and now have clematis growing in their place.

Hops would be a good choice if you are trying to cover an arbor or pergola with something dense and a little out of the ordinary.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 AM

4,245 posts, read 6,252,471 times
I also bought 2 rhyzomes from Tractor Supply... those, and everything else from TS&C, rotted in the ground. I had Zero luck with anything bought from them (and yet, even unknown quality stuff bought on ebay is growing well right now).

I think it's the Source that's the problem. I got a refund (well, store credit) for all of the plants. I might try again with a Different source next year.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM

20,779 posts, read 25,273,991 times
Florida? You can grow hops in Florida?

They grow hops commercially in Oregon and Washington where it is a lot colder than it is in Florida. They grow hops in Germany, where it is a lot colder than it is in Florida.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 955,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Florida? You can grow hops in Florida?

They grow hops commercially in Oregon and Washington where it is a lot colder than it is in Florida. They grow hops in Germany, where it is a lot colder than it is in Florida.
My thought also. As a seasonal plant maybe?

Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM

24,533 posts, read 59,029,786 times
I do not know. Everything like that i plant gets dug up and eaten by squirrels or deer. I did finally get some daffodils growing, but not where I planted them. apparently, the squirrel dug them up and buried them elsewhere. They were all clustered together.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:23 AM

5,823 posts, read 5,672,635 times
OP, your rhizome probably died from mold within a few days of you putting it into the ground. In North America hops grow best between the 34th and 50th degrees north latitude. Florida is well below 34 degrees latitude, it's too hot and humid for the majority of hops varieties, plus Florida doesn't get enough daily hours of light for hops. Keep in mind that the further north one is the more daylight hours there are in the spring and summer than what there is in the south, so hops get more hours of the daily light and cooler temperatures that they need in the north. Do lots more research about what are suitable plants for the Florida climate and daylight conditions.

If you're determined to try growing hops in Florida then try the hops variety called Cascade. I've read reports that it can stand up better to Florida's growing conditions, diseases and pests than other hops varieties if an experienced grower is very vigilant in the plant's care and maintenance. So Cascade variety "might" grow for you. But don't count on it since it still won't get as many hours of light per day as it should ideally have.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden