U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 10:40 AM

3,636 posts, read 4,365,821 times

Advertisements

I've dealt with Lyme disease. It is a devastating illness. My daughter's school email about finding a tick on the playground.

Any recommendations for tick prevention in the yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:53 AM

63,552 posts, read 45,896,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I've dealt with Lyme disease. It is a devasting illness. My daughter's school email about finding a tick on the playground.

I have and seen many ticks around me. I know Lyme disease is horrible. Family member and a neighbor had it. Did the school capture it and send it in for analysis? Not all ticks carry the disease.

You can attract birds into the area, they'll take care of them.

Otherwise this is the only way to stop it..

Spray. There are backyard sprays you can get like this that will help...

Or hire a Pro. Big business around here for bugs and ticks.

If the school isn't going to spray then only thing you can do is just check your daughter when she gets home. Could be on the clothes too though.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:17 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,265,107 times
Take a multi B vitamin in the Spring.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:09 PM

757 posts, read 574,680 times
Quote:
I've dealt with Lyme disease. It is a devastating illness. My daughter's school email about finding a tick on the playground.

Be sure to thoroughly check your daughter's scalp. There's more than one video and story on-line regarding temporary paralysis in young children from tick bites on the scalp.

We used Sevin Dust in the dog yard this year. This is the first time in 4-5 years ticks have been bad enough to put something on the back yard.

if you live in a rural area, Guinea Hens are great for keeping the tick population down but they have to be put in a safe shelter at night, lest everything from Hawks to coyotes to fox will get them.

My area has deer ticks and a huge population of Lone Star ticks which carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Please be sure to check every inch of your daughter, paying strict attention to her scalp and I would look at her scalp morning and evening

Old 06-10-2018, 03:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 4,365,821 times
With pets and trying to attract bees, what natural repellents work?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 PM

63,552 posts, read 45,896,133 times
Quote:

Thought about you while hiking today. This was the first sign before even getting started. Maybe will help you in a way.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:27 PM

22,128 posts, read 27,975,652 times
i bought bags of triazicide from lowes and then used my spreader to put it on my property. its dirt cheap and easy.

i think you pay $100 or so for a flea/tick/mosquito treatment and this stuff is about $7 to treat 12,500 square feet.

i could be wrong but i feel like i am doing a better job than a company and it costs a lot less and is a really simple thing to do.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:27 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,230,305 times
Quote:
Haven't heard of any that do...if they existed a lot of tick control people would be out of business. Defend yourself, not your yard.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 PM

757 posts, read 574,680 times
Quote:

You have already dealt with Lyme disease --- I am sorry but "natural repellents" would be the least of my concerns.

There aren't any that truly work. -- unless you live in an area where you can keep Guinea Hens and put them up at night so the coyote, fox, and Hawks don't eat them. But then you have to feed them.

We have used Sevin Dust many times in the dogs back yard without issue. When I had nearly a dozen barn cats and buying tick/flea control was too expensive, I put Sevin Dust down their backs and behind their ears without any issue whatsoever.

I try to keep this farm as "natural" as possible but sometimes chemicals can't be helped. I'm also not fond of finding Black Widow spiders in the house so we have a pest control service that takes care of that. I expect to see them down at the barn or under stones piled at the fence posts but they are not allowed in my personal space in the house---------

Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 PM

2,112 posts, read 819,580 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear that they found a tick

I've also had Lyme and it's left some permanent damage. Nobody knew what was wrong with me for the longest time; they tested me for a million other things before one doctor finally made a lucky guess and wondered if it was Lyme...and I finally got diagnosed. I have joint damage and neurological damage from Lyme; I am pretty lucky though from what I have heard from others. I am still able to work, enjoy life and still feel good most of the time.

There are pesticides that you can apply to the yard but they also harm good bugs and they aren't 100% effective in getting rid of the ticks.

If you live by a wooded area put a barrier 3 feet wide using gravel between the wooded area and your yard.

Also make sure that your family members are wearing bug repellent.

Educate your daughter on how to check for ticks, what they look like--and what to do if she finds one.

Also, I would ask the school if they intend on spraying or taking some measures to control their potential tick issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden