U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 03:01 PM

6,712 posts, read 11,713,651 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. Three years ago I started gardening (ha!) for the first time ever. (I wrote a thread about it here: flower beds ... yes, FINALLY ... but questions questions questions!! .)

My heuchera bed is doing well, although it wasn't supposed to BE a heuchera-only bed ... nothing else has survived! I currently have maybe a dozen heucheras (different varieties) and I love, love, love them, but I wish I could find other things to add to that bed as it looks pretty wimpy. (Only about 1/4 of it has anything in it any more -- the end with the heucheras!)

My OTHER bed was a tulip bed. I bought and planted maybe 100, but few came up; this year, the 3rd year of what are SUPPOSED to be perennials, literally ONE came up. I wish I had taken a picture, it looked so pathetic. That one disappeared in the last week or so -- I think a squirrel had a snack.

Anyway, I want to totally re-do that tulip bed. Right now, as noted above, it's empty. I am fine with just PREPARING it this year for some planting next year, but HOW should I prepare it? Should I till it? Weed it, then cover it with landscape fabric and mulch? What?

HELP!! Oh, I'm in zone 5, southwestern New Hampshire. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:13 PM

2,655 posts, read 949,977 times
You could weed it and till it. You could have the soil tested to see if it's acid or alkaline and therefore bad for anything you tried to grow there and you can amend it. You could figure out if it drains well or is a swamp and what kind of light it has - if you haven't already done all those things. Definitely don't put down landscape fabric and mulch since you'd have to wade through the mulch and cut holes in the fabric to plant.

You could find a garden center or nursery near you and tell them only one thing survived and based on that, they could maybe suggest some complementary things that would live in similar conditions.

And since it's not that late in the season, you can fill the bed up with some inexpensive annuals so it looks lovely while you make your plan for next year. Some you don't even need to plant; just intersperse the pots and some roots will grow through the holes and the plant will sprawl out of the pots and hide them. You could have a place for annuals each year since not all gardening has to be permanent.

I had a bed of everything under the sun: various bulb plants, milkweed, every other weed you can think of and when I started to clear it out I found rosebushes hidden and deprived of sun so I'm trying to make a little rose garden bed and am feeling my way long the same as you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or