U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 PM
 
75 posts, read 21,798 times
Reputation: 125

Advertisements

Need to identify since it's not doing well. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Can you identify this Vegetable Plant?-screen-shot-2018-06-14-5.48.21  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:00 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
17,075 posts, read 16,258,790 times
Reputation: 27987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimalistMary View Post
Need to identify since it's not doing well. Thank you
something like a cucumber, squash, or a melon by the looks of it. Could be a mixture--if you had them last year and they mated, lol. I've had that happen and the result is a useless gourd type thing.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
15,709 posts, read 19,162,719 times
Reputation: 28182
My first thought was cucumber, too, then some type of squash. It will be fun to find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 PM
 
75 posts, read 21,798 times
Reputation: 125
Thanks to you both
I bought zuchini and lemon cukes and are unsure of which plant this is.
My concern is the leaves so I'll research both and try to fix the soil. It's too low alkaline. Gardening is so much fun!!! As an amateur, my mistakes are plenty but it's still a blast. Picked my first kale today. Not as crispy so won't probably yield the vege juice I am used to in the blender. Instead we are using it as part of a salad. Which is probably healthier to use the entire leaf and not just squeeze the juice out of it via our champion juicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
15,709 posts, read 19,162,719 times
Reputation: 28182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimalistMary View Post
Thanks to you both
I bought zuchini and lemon cukes and are unsure of which plant this is.
My concern is the leaves so I'll research both and try to fix the soil. It's too low alkaline. Gardening is so much fun!!! As an amateur, my mistakes are plenty but it's still a blast. Picked my first kale today. Not as crispy so won't probably yield the vege juice I am used to in the blender. Instead we are using it as part of a salad. Which is probably healthier to use the entire leaf and not just squeeze the juice out of it via our champion juicer.
Well done! I'd vote for it being lemon cucs. Zucchini leaves get really big, really fast.

I'm jealous! I bought lemon cuc seeds this year, but I don't have anywhere to plant them. I just have a small balcony and a room with some grow lights. I ended up growing tomatoes and peppers with no room for a lemon cuc plant. I always used to grow them when I had property in WA. They are ready to pick pretty fast and I love that you can eat the skin. Enjoy your garden!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 PM
 
75 posts, read 21,798 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well done! I'd vote for it being lemon cucs. Zucchini leaves get really big, really fast.

I'm jealous! I bought lemon cuc seeds this year, but I don't have anywhere to plant them. I just have a small balcony and a room with some grow lights. I ended up growing tomatoes and peppers with no room for a lemon cuc plant. I always used to grow them when I had property in WA. They are ready to pick pretty fast and I love that you can eat the skin. Enjoy your garden!
Thank you. Such a bummer you do not have room! that is the one huge drawback, imho, if apartment living.



Eventually we want to sell this house and buy a cheap cabin on forest service land. Down the road one is for sale for 60K but our inheritance hasn't came in yet. f/t living is suppose to be a no no but one guy does it. He snowmobiles up during wintertime, too much trouble for us. We'll probably get a cheap apartment nearby to stay during winter 4-5 months. Which means little nor no vegetable gardening during the winter time. With both residences, we'd save $300 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
15,709 posts, read 19,162,719 times
Reputation: 28182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimalistMary View Post
Thank you. Such a bummer you do not have room! that is the one huge drawback, imho, if apartment living.



Eventually we want to sell this house and buy a cheap cabin on forest service land. Down the road one is for sale for 60K but our inheritance hasn't came in yet. f/t living is suppose to be a no no but one guy does it. He snowmobiles up during wintertime, too much trouble for us. We'll probably get a cheap apartment nearby to stay during winter 4-5 months. Which means little nor no vegetable gardening during the winter time. With both residences, we'd save $300 a month.
Sounds like a great plan. For my indoor garden, I have a large Rubbermaid tote - about 30 inches long by 15 inches wide and about 12 inches deep. And in that, I have a bunch of tomatoes growing under two grow lights. I just use these shop lights from Home Depot - only around $15 each:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...3-RE/202994372

Then, I use GE T-8 bulbs. They're called Active Spaces (Daylight). Pack of 2 is only around $8. Walmart and Lowe's carries them. Home Depot does not. Other brands aren't as good:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-48-Act...s-2pk/42379839

If you hang two of these shoplights with the bulbs in them over a shelf or tub, you can get some great results. And it will only have cost you about $40.

I've even just used one bulb, but using two gets me better results. I have tomatoes blooming and starting to produce small cherry tomatoes under the grow lights in my bedroom/hobby room.

Besides the dresser with the giant tote, I also have a shelving unit with a bunch of sweet peppers growing - blooming like crazy and already making little peppers, under the same type of grow lights on a shelf. I also have some other plants just for fun - sprouted a jacaranda tree just to see if I could do it - will have to sell it to someone who wants a huge tree or a bonsai project LOL. Also some coleus, just because they're pretty.

I just ordered more lights and will dedicate another shelf to growing cooking herbs indoors - more basil and some oregano, etc.

Maybe next year I'll plant lemon cucs in the big tote. I miss them :-)

But, anyway, you could grow some stuff under lights in your winter home, and it's cheap if you do it the way I do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 08:06 PM
 
75 posts, read 21,798 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sounds like a great plan. For my indoor garden, I have a large Rubbermaid tote - about 30 inches long by 15 inches wide and about 12 inches deep. And in that, I have a bunch of tomatoes growing under two grow lights. I just use these shop lights from Home Depot - only around $15 each:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...3-RE/202994372

Then, I use GE T-8 bulbs. They're called Active Spaces (Daylight). Pack of 2 is only around $8. Walmart and Lowe's carries them. Home Depot does not. Other brands aren't as good:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-48-Act...s-2pk/42379839

If you hang two of these shoplights with the bulbs in them over a shelf or tub, you can get some great results. And it will only have cost you about $40.

I've even just used one bulb, but using two gets me better results. I have tomatoes blooming and starting to produce small cherry tomatoes under the grow lights in my bedroom/hobby room.

Besides the dresser with the giant tote, I also have a shelving unit with a bunch of sweet peppers growing - blooming like crazy and already making little peppers, under the same type of grow lights on a shelf. I also have some other plants just for fun - sprouted a jacaranda tree just to see if I could do it - will have to sell it to someone who wants a huge tree or a bonsai project LOL. Also some coleus, just because they're pretty.

I just ordered more lights and will dedicate another shelf to growing cooking herbs indoors - more basil and some oregano, etc.

Maybe next year I'll plant lemon cucs in the big tote. I miss them :-)

But, anyway, you could grow some stuff under lights in your winter home, and it's cheap if you do it the way I do it.
Wow that's dedication! Good for you. I pulled off a few itty bitty bell peppers and they were delicious!


I guess you cannot hang some of these plants since there is little space?



We cannot hang plants here, there isn't enough sun since the bottom deck roof, is the top deck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
15,709 posts, read 19,162,719 times
Reputation: 28182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinimalistMary View Post
Wow that's dedication! Good for you. I pulled off a few itty bitty bell peppers and they were delicious!


I guess you cannot hang some of these plants since there is little space?



We cannot hang plants here, there isn't enough sun since the bottom deck roof, is the top deck.
No, not much sun on my balcony either. I put up a privacy fence, so it gets a lot of indirect light, but not much direct light - just morning and afternoon. It does get a lot of heat in summer, though and lots of indirect light, so I can still get some veggies, but not like I could in a "real" garden.

On my balcony, I have tomatoes and some peppers and lots of flowers. And a dwarf crepe myrtle tree in a huge pot.

The upside to having limited space, is that it's less work to take care of. I would always end up with ginormous gardens and they can be a lot of work, even though it was a work of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM
 
75 posts, read 21,798 times
Reputation: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
No, not much sun on my balcony either. I put up a privacy fence, so it gets a lot of indirect light, but not much direct light - just morning and afternoon. It does get a lot of heat in summer, though and lots of indirect light, so I can still get some veggies, but not like I could in a "real" garden.

On my balcony, I have tomatoes and some peppers and lots of flowers. And a dwarf crepe myrtle tree in a huge pot.

The upside to having limited space, is that it's less work to take care of. I would always end up with ginormous gardens and they can be a lot of work, even though it was a work of love.
Yes that's so true. It's easy to spend a ton of time on a garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top