U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 04:54 PM

498 posts, read 225,441 times

Advertisements

Roof rats are a "thing" and they can be a big issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 05:20 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,653,926 times
Rats will eat mostly anything, including fruit. However they do require a certain amount of protein which fruit lacks. This would be especially true of pregnant and or nursing females.

All and all if rats can find a "balanced diet" in same area as fruit trees then they might hang around and or grow in numbers. If there is nothing else on the menu then they likely will move on.

This would however largely depend upon what sort of rats we're talking about. The common Norway or brown rat is one thing, but there are others whose diet does consist of mostly fruits. If they are known to be in your area, then you might have problems.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My father used to tell us kids never have fruit trees in your yard unless you want rats and mice . I told some people that once and my husband says that is not true he says his family had fruit trees a lot growing up and they never had rats or mice . im just wondering if anyone else ever heard that ?
If you already have rodents in the area, they will be one more thing from which you have to protect your trees. But, having fruit trees will not magically draw them where there were none before...however, rats and mice and other critters are everywhere. In Winter, mice may chew the bark of young fruit trees, which tends to kill them (the trees, not the mice).

There are bigger issues to be concerned with regarding fallen fruit- diseases and insect pests. Fallen fruit lying on the ground helps to complete the life-cycle of other pests that can infect/infest your fruit. If you wish to harvest fruit from your trees, this is an issue; if you don't care much about a harvest it is less of an issue.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,957,575 times
We had fruit-bearing cherry trees for two years before we realized they bore fruit. The birds got to them before a single cherry got ripe, and certainly I never saw a single piece of fruit on the ground. Rats? I don't think they would have stood a chance.. However, having grown up in a rural area, I can say with certainty that if there is a meal to be had, there is a hunger to get an easy meal. Fruit trees are a relatively easy meal...

I think this really depends on where you live.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:05 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Our squirrel is even more picky. He eats a quarter of one, then takes another three, one at a time, eating just a few bites of each. Makes me so mad.

And the birds, of course, munch on the highest fruits in the tree.

But rats? I've never seen a rat in my garden, ever.
Those darn squirrels!!

It is cute how they hold them in their little claws,but Iím unable to shed a tear when my cat catches one (occasionally).

Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 PM

2,276 posts, read 925,357 times
We had pear and cherry trees where I grew up in Upstate NY. There was never a problem with rats; in fact we never saw a rat. The birds ended up getting the cherries and the kids & squirrels ended up getting into the pears. We did have a lot of bees when the trees were blooming but they never bothered us.

BTW--eating green pears are not a good idea, even if they are only half green An important lesson I learned as a young kid who used to climb those pear trees.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 PM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Those must be country rats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

Old 06-21-2018, 10:17 PM

6,166 posts, read 3,251,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My father used to tell us kids never have fruit trees in your yard unless you want rats and mice . I told some people that once and my husband says that is not true he says his family had fruit trees a lot growing up and they never had rats or mice . im just wondering if anyone else ever heard that ?
I grew up in south Louisiana, where fruit trees are plentiful. I've never heard that they attract rats/mice, and that was not my experience.

In one place I rented, there was a rat that got in (yikes!). Horrible. I'd never seen one that close before. Anyway...there were no fruit trees around there. But there was a small wooded area right by the rental.

Rats eat anything, so I wouldn't think rats would attract them any more than garbage left out overnight, smaller critters, cat food that people leave outside, etc. But fruit IS food, so I guess it makes sense.

My father has a lot of fruit trees (3 fig trees, about 7 satsuma bushes/trees, a pear tree, a vegetable garden, a mayhaw tree). He doesn't have rats or mice.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:21 AM

1,687 posts, read 461,456 times
Well, I suppose you are using bigger snap traps for the bigger rats...I mean lucky us here that we deal with the smaller mice and the traps I have bought at the local Walzymart work well.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM

723 posts, read 494,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I grew up in south Louisiana, where fruit trees are plentiful. I've never heard that they attract rats/mice, and that was not my experience.

In one place I rented, there was a rat that got in (yikes!). Horrible. I'd never seen one that close before. Anyway...there were no fruit trees around there. But there was a small wooded area right by the rental.

Rats eat anything, so I wouldn't think rats would attract them any more than garbage left out overnight, smaller critters, cat food that people leave outside, etc. But fruit IS food, so I guess it makes sense.

My father has a lot of fruit trees (3 fig trees, about 7 satsuma bushes/trees, a pear tree, a vegetable garden, a mayhaw tree). He doesn't have rats or mice.
I'm in the same region, and did not notice any rats when living in a house with large, mature satsuma and orange trees. Hmm, maybe the snakes got to them first? Eww...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden