U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 PM

15,912 posts, read 19,389,898 times

Advertisements

I just have a small apartment and small balcony, but I have a bunch of red and gold cherry tomatoes. Sun Gold I think is the yellow variety and some sweet red ones. Too lazy to go look at the seed package. They're both indeterminate so they have taken over the balcony. I also have some growing in a big tote in my hobby/grow room under grow lights and they are a tangled mess LOL. Should have put a dwarf variety in there, but had the seeds, so went ahead and planted some inside, too. They're flowering and I have some baby tomatoes going, but I don't have good sunlight for any of them, so probably won't get a whole lot of tomatoes. They'll just be a special treat, along with the cherry sweet peppers I have going.

I use Miracle Gro for Tomatoes. It has always served me well. And I always use a really top quality organic soil to pot them up in. My potting soil of choice right now is Black Gold. Great stuff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:13 PM

15,912 posts, read 19,389,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
I have lots of varieties, but only 1 plant of most, I wanted to try many new varieties this year, but don't have tons of room.

Old Standbys:
Pineapple, Cherokee Green, Cherokee Purple, Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Indigo Cherry Drops

New-to-me this year:
Captain Lucky, Berkeley Tie Dye, Delicious, KBX, Mocha Splash, Bear Creek, Rutgers, McKinley, Martino's Roma, Barry's Crazy Cherry, Lucky Tiger, Pink Tiger, Green Tiger, Blush, Candy Sweet Icicle, Black Cherry.

I like the different colored ones

I fertilize with bunny poop and grass clippings. I use deep mulching, too, which brings worms close to the surface, so there's worm poo too . My plants are very happy this year.
Wow. Gorgeous tomatoes. I'm jealous.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 AM

33,071 posts, read 41,365,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I planted just two tomato plants this year because it would be my first time growing anything in Florida. What a huge disappointment! Iíve got to get with some people who have gardened here for a while to figure out what I did wrong. Back in Ohio I had to take bags of tomatoes to work every year just to get rid of them, so I know a thing or two about growing them.
Just not here😗
I had the same problem moving from OH to Georgia. You probably did nothing wrong. Itís just too hot, too early, here.
My best success was this year, in patio pots, and they were planted in early March, but now are pretty much over.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:18 AM

12,743 posts, read 17,103,672 times
Quote:
I planted just two tomato plants this year because it would be my first time growing anything in Florida. What a huge disappointment! Iíve got to get with some people who have gardened here for a while to figure out what I did wrong. Back in Ohio I had to take bags of tomatoes to work every year just to get rid of them, so I know a thing or two about growing them.
Just not here😗

okay ron first off don't grow in summer in florida winter months are your growing season for tomatoes start them in October and then until jan . after that forget it . I have lived in florida and ohio and I know what you mean stark difference good luck to you this winter . cant grow anything in florida in the summer except tropical plants .

Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 AM

11,628 posts, read 2,306,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Let's see if I can remember them all: Super Sweet 100 Cherry, Juliet Grape, Delicious, Brandywine, Omar's Lebanese, Abraham Lincoln, Roma and Matina (8 of each). We got them in a little later than I had wanted to, toward the end of May (like around the 20th or 22nd), but they're doing well. Tons of little flowers and some have little green tomatoes on the ends of them. Can't wait! Hopefully in a couple more weeks or so, we'll start having some!

I don't remember how long it took last year, but I remember we had planted them right around May 15th. We were over-run with tomatoes last year and this year, we planted quite a few more!

I grow mine in raised beds with a specific soil composition. It contains compost, peat most or coconut coir, earthworm castings, azomite rock dust, mycorrhizal fungi and fish emulsion. They turned out amazing last year, so hopefully they'll do the same this year!

Wow, that's quite a soil prep....where do you get earthworm castings??

LOVE BRANDYWINES

Old 06-23-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yip812 View Post
I have lots of varieties, but only 1 plant of most, I wanted to try many new varieties this year, but don't have tons of room.

Old Standbys:
Pineapple, Cherokee Green, Cherokee Purple, Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Indigo Cherry Drops

New-to-me this year:
Captain Lucky, Berkeley Tie Dye, Delicious, KBX, Mocha Splash, Bear Creek, Rutgers, McKinley, Martino's Roma, Barry's Crazy Cherry, Lucky Tiger, Pink Tiger, Green Tiger, Blush, Candy Sweet Icicle, Black Cherry.

I like the different colored ones

I fertilize with bunny poop and grass clippings. I use deep mulching, too, which brings worms close to the surface, so there's worm poo too . My plants are very happy this year.

Awesome list....some I haven't heard of....that plant looks HEALTHY!!

Old 06-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

LOVE BRANDYWINES

I'm growing Cherokee Purple, closest I could find for Brandywine....it's huge but just now forming blossoms...
be a long time before a tomato sandwich.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Just not here😗
Likely sandy soil and so very hot/dry. Sorry!

Someone from there might chime in to help...Nomadicus poster used to grow gardens in FL...

Old 06-23-2018, 01:19 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,445,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

LOVE BRANDYWINES
I ordered mine online, but I've found them at Walmart. They're with the peat moss and perlite and stuff like that.

It's my first year growing Brandywine this year, actually first time for most of these tomato varieties except for the cherry, grape and roma--very excited!

Old 06-23-2018, 03:26 PM

33,071 posts, read 41,365,414 times
To add to my last post...I had a volunteer tomato plant come up, nowhere near the others and they are just coming ripe. This plant had absolutely no love, and yet it has tomatoes. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or