U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Reputation: 27757

Advertisements

I'm still waiting for my first ripe tomato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2018, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
16,736 posts, read 20,490,725 times
Reputation: 30723
We've had a really slow start to summer here, and I'm just getting some ripe cherry tomatoes.

As to pouring off 3 gallons of tomato juice - sacrilege! I couldn't waste an ounce of tomato goodness. I'd rather cook it down, or add other ingredients to thicken the sauce, or just can the tomato juice separately or to use in vegetable broth later, etc.

Of course, I don't have the space to have that many tomatoes anymore, so I think of the ones I get as being worth their weight in gold. Just have a balcony now.

I've got a tall vining variety of cherry tomatoes - some red and some gold - that have taken over my balcony. They're insanely tall. Not a ton of tomatoes, though, and that's what other gardeners have told me is the story with their tomatoes, too, this year. It was just too cool and cloudy. Our season is long, though, so there's still hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Reputation: 22615
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
We've had a really slow start to summer here, and I'm just getting some ripe cherry tomatoes.

As to pouring off 3 gallons of tomato juice - sacrilege! I couldn't waste an ounce of tomato goodness. I'd rather cook it down, or add other ingredients to thicken the sauce, or just can the tomato juice separately or to use in vegetable broth later, etc.

Of course, I don't have the space to have that many tomatoes anymore, so I think of the ones I get as being worth their weight in gold. Just have a balcony now.

I've got a tall vining variety of cherry tomatoes - some red and some gold - that have taken over my balcony. They're insanely tall. Not a ton of tomatoes, though, and that's what other gardeners have told me is the story with their tomatoes, too, this year. It was just too cool and cloudy. Our season is long, though, so there's still hope.
I love growing cherry tomatoes....they are always sweet and so tasty. Do you remember the name of those vining cherries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
16,736 posts, read 20,490,725 times
Reputation: 30723
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I love growing cherry tomatoes....they are always sweet and so tasty. Do you remember the name of those vining cherries?
I'm too lazy to get up right now, but I kept the seed packets, as I keep a garden journal and make notes on how different plants/seeds did. I'll get that info to you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Reputation: 22615
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm too lazy to get up right now, but I kept the seed packets, as I keep a garden journal and make notes on how different plants/seeds did. I'll get that info to you soon.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,093 posts, read 2,696,057 times
Reputation: 3744
The 120# of tomatoes picked last week yielded 13 quarts of sauce...picked another 80 pounds yesterday, lotsa yellow and green varieties, now making green enchilada sauce...
We have a glass top stove, canning not recommended, so we found an Ball FreshTech electric water bath canner on Amazon that will handle 7 quarts at a time....so far so good.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Reputation: 22615
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
The 120# of tomatoes picked last week yielded 13 quarts of sauce...picked another 80 pounds yesterday, lotsa yellow and green varieties, now making green enchilada sauce...
We have a glass top stove, canning not recommended, so we found an Ball FreshTech electric water bath canner on Amazon that will handle 7 quarts at a time....so far so good.

Regards
Gemstone1

Just how many tomato plants did you plant...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,093 posts, read 2,696,057 times
Reputation: 3744
"Just how many tomato plants did you plant...?" ....hundreds, between my garden and the community garden, 41 varieties.....gonna cut that by 21 next season....too much work transplanting.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Reputation: 22615
That is a lot of work....canning is a job in itself.

But how good they'll be next winter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Santa Rosa CA
12 posts, read 3,234 times
Reputation: 26
I planted an Early Girl, Mortgage Lifter, Amish Paste, and Cherokee Purple here in Sonoma County this year. It's a new plot for me and even though I prepped with chicken manure and compost the plants have taken longer than usual to flourish and flower. Next year I'll add in more compost and nutrients to our adobe clay soil as I've been somewhat disappointed in the taste of the Girls and the Paste. The Lifter has only now begun to flower, and my favorite so far, the Purple, has produced some big ugly fruit... but the flavors are wonderful!


Years ago I lived on a chicken farm in Petaluma where we let our layers range freely and the tomatoes that came out of that soil simply exploded with flavor. Decades of dumping chickens make for a fabulous culture in which to grow our favorite fruit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top