U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM

2,064 posts, read 2,737,123 times

Advertisements

i've got myself into a pickle & i'm looking for some opinions on what to do.

years back i purchased a cutting from the tombstone rose tree. while it was in it's infancy in my yard, i thought well....just in case it didn't grow, i'd add a cutting from another climbing rose i have in my yard. the tombstone produces little white teacup flowers; the other one produces little pastel pink teacup flowers.

fast forward a couple of years & they are both happily growing together. great! i've now got a wonderful display of pink & white flowers that are amazing. combined they now cover an area of about 12ft in diameter & about 5ft high

i've wanted to build a sturdy trellis for them to climb, so that they would provide a shady spot in the yard (once they got LARGE). we had a trellis built, but it wasn't sturdy enough so we've torn it down & are re-engineering a new one.

whilst planning the attack for the new trellis, what do i find growing in the middle of my climbing roses? a volunteer chaste tree! i have 2 other chaste trees in my yard & i love them, but i'm not entirely thrilled finding one in the middle of my climbing roses. if i pull it out, i'm not sure i'll get the whole thing so i might be fighting this fight every single year. if i leave it alone, it's one more color in the mix but will it choke out the roses?

do i leave the chaste tree alone? do i remove it?

World's Largest Rose Tree Rose Tree Museum

https://www.horticultureunlimited.co...e/chaste-tree/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 09:31 PM

16,723 posts, read 20,470,484 times
Well, if you don't want it there, it's easy to keep it from taking over. Just keep cutting it down to the ground.

if it's like the links you posted, then it probably would take over your other roses, if you let it thrive.

So, you have to decide which you'd rather have. My thinking is that you already have a couple of them, and you've spent a lot of love and effort getting your cuttings going, that it's my opinion you might want to cut the intruder down.

I think it's fallen under the category of weed, in this case, which is simply a plant growing where you don't want it to grow.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 AM

6,017 posts, read 5,795,124 times
I agree with NoMoreSnowForMe's post above.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:10 AM

13,105 posts, read 17,640,353 times
Dig it up and plant it somewhere else in your yard if you can .

Old 06-26-2018, 12:11 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,490,886 times
You could always use round up.

Just put the round up on the chaste tree, and it will eventually kill it down to the roots, but leave the other plants alone.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:21 PM

34 posts, read 8,555 times
Dig it up. The tree will overtake your roses.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:27 PM

13 posts, read 2,285 times
The tree can overtake the roses so it may be a good idea to remove it.

BUT it may be a good idea to dig out a tree and replant it or gift it to someone to plant it in their yard

We need more trees please don't just cut it down!

Old 06-26-2018, 07:32 PM

2,064 posts, read 2,737,123 times
i'll see if i can find the root & dig it up. i'ts too late to do any transplanting in my area - the poor thing would melt from the heat

Old 06-28-2018, 10:18 AM

34 posts, read 8,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i'll see if i can find the root & dig it up. i'ts too late to do any transplanting in my area - the poor thing would melt from the heat
Dig up and pot it, then plant in fall. Don't leave it there with your roses.

If you give it opportunity to grow you will be damaging your roses root system which is PRECIOUS to say the least. You have to pull it asap.

I pulled out a wild sycamore tree out of my landscaping and planted it at my sisters. In one season the root system was massive and it damaged the plants around it.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:49 AM

1,326 posts, read 527,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
If it isn't big, you should easily be able to dig it up. Plant it in a pot and keep it in the shade then transplant to the ground next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or