U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 133 times

Advertisements

I have a beautiful elderberry that I planted next to my front door 3 years ago. Just discovered that it was COVERED in white wooly bear caterpillars. Spent an hour picking them off and relocating them to a hedge 45 feet behind our house. Anyone know the likelihood of them staying there? Also, there are these flying things that look like ants, but with clear wings that have a cool design. They don't bite, or hurt the plant in anyway, just worried if I should be concerned with this level of infestation? Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Status: "You meet the nicest people on CD..." (set 26 days ago)

38,090 posts, read 43,604,929 times
This product will solve your problem and it's biologically safe to use. You can find it at any nursery or garden center.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...e-zw0z1304zkin

Old 06-29-2018, 09:46 AM

32 posts, read 3,009 times
Do you have a pic of the wooly bear? It could be sawfly, or elderberry borers. White woolies are uncommon.

Did you have stem breakage?

Old Today, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 133 times
Default wooly bears

I didn't know white woolies existed until I looked them up, but they look just like the pictures. Also acted just like the black and brown woolies from when I was a kid. No stem breakage, but they ate those leaves down until all that was left was the stem and vein. Haven't seen more since I moved them to the hedge. Still wondering about the flyers though. They don't hurt anything, but how many is too many? What are these?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or