U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 07:53 PM

10,118 posts, read 16,713,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I have a huge Aloe in a pot, and don't water it at all from about Oct through March. And the leaves stay plump, don't wrinkle a bit (I'd give it some water if it did wrinkle). But I live in the Seattle area.

Also, mine doesn't like direct sun at all. This time of year, he lives outside in the shade, and his color is a lovely blueish-grayish-green. If I lived in an area where Aloe could stay out all year, I'd probably try growing him in a part-sun situation, but they sunburn surprisingly easily. It sounds to me like yours might be sunburned as well as overwatered.
Nope, I don't think so. It looks very happy now and a good color in the exact same spot it looked happy in last year.

One thing I have learned from this thread is that I should probably have put it in a smaller, shallower pot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 596,704 times
All advise previous is pretty good. I did notice if not op then someone else said "when you water you give it only a small amount". That really is not correct if it is planted in a correct sized pot, it should be small, they don't have a large root system, and well draining loose soil. Soil should drain quickly not be muddy or get rock hard when dry. When pot and soil are correct you should water thoroughly and slowly to allow it to soak into soil. Empty water that doesn't soak in after about 30-60 minutes (they hate wet feet). Keep in mind sometimes when soil gets dry it has a hard time absorbing it and will draw it up from the drain dish so give it a bit of time to draw up from dish. The best kind of pot for most cactus and succulents is a red clay/Terra cotta pot, they breath. Rule of thumb for smaller (6" across pot) water every two weeks indoors, once a week outdoors in warm somewhat shady spot during summer, less in winter, maybe once a month. Also, they need a really sunny spot indoors with direct sunlight . Southern exposure best followed by west, east, northern has no direct sun so not good.

If you want to place outside it's best to have in a somewhat shady spot. It won't be able to acclimate to direct hot sun all day long, probably get sunburned. Yes, they are a desert plant and grow naturally in full sun but are acclimated, ones that have been grown indoors are not. You could slowly acclimate to take full sun but will be shocked when brought indoors when weather turns too cold and needs to acclimate indoors with way less sunlight again.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden