Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 05:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,956 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just bought an aloe about 2 weeks ago in lanzarote and transported it back to Ireland. It was in a box for 3 days in my care and God only knows how long in the shop. I bought a pot and cactus and succulent pot mix once I returned. I took the aloe out of the box all the leaves are facing the same way and are bent over kind of like a 'C' shape. Ireland at the moment is having a heatwave And i****ting nearly 30 degrees. I taught my aloe would like this I have checked in on her everyday but since yesterday she has gone yellowy brown. I have moved her inside and watered her only thing is where I'm staying my room is in the shade. Not ideal. Can anybody help me please! How do I revive her and give her the best care in the future?
From aloe Newby cara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
You’ve almost certainly overwatered, and Aloe loves heat. Put it outside, let it dry out, and it may recover and grow new healthy green shoots.

I moved my plant in this winter and barely watered it, and it did great. When I put it outside in spring (maybe too early), I almost killed it by overwatering. The shoots looked like they were rotting from the inside and the guy at the garden center told me I had killed it. I left it outside and started ignoring it again, and finally it came back and looks great. I had to remove the outer rotted shoots as the good ones came in.

Only water when it’s totally dried out.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You’ve almost certainly overwatered, and Aloe loves heat. Put it outside, let it dry out, and it may recover and grow new healthy green shoots.

I moved my plant in this winter and barely watered it, and it did great. When I put it outside in spring (maybe too early), I almost killed it by overwatering. The shoots looked like they were rotting from the inside and the guy at the garden center told me I had killed it. I left it outside and started ignoring it again, and finally it came back and looks great. I had to remove the outer rotted shoots as the good ones came in.

Right. Succulents need very little water, as it's stored in the leaves. Sunny location and they'll love you for it.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:10 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,910,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramhiggins View Post
Hi, I just bought an aloe about 2 weeks ago in lanzarote and transported it back to Ireland. It was in a box for 3 days in my care and God only knows how long in the shop. I bought a pot and cactus and succulent pot mix once I returned. I took the aloe out of the box all the leaves are facing the same way and are bent over kind of like a 'C' shape. Ireland at the moment is having a heatwave And i****ting nearly 30 degrees. I taught my aloe would like this I have checked in on her everyday but since yesterday she has gone yellowy brown. I have moved her inside and watered her only thing is where I'm staying my room is in the shade. Not ideal. Can anybody help me please! How do I revive her and give her the best care in the future?
From aloe Newby cara
Read about it to get a sense for it. Compared to what one would think is giving one's best to a plant...lots of water, lots of fertile soil and sun...the aloe likes the conditions of ... oh...a bit more deserty place.

It shouldn't get too cold. 50+F that would be 10+ Celsius.

Dry, sandy, not too fertile soil, not too much water. And the soil shouldn't hold the water too easily. I understand it can deal with some shade. I didn't have mine in shade too much but have read that it's not so bad for it.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Right. Succulents need very little water, as it's stored in the leaves.
Which is why they don't last outside in winter below freezing!

I felt like a horrible murderess after I exploded an Aloe Vera one of my first winters in Texas. I'm so glad I didn't murder another one this year, it was a close call.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 AM

34 posts, read 24,771 times
Hey there! Resident horticulturist here. Petsandgardens pretty much nailed it.

You said you bought other plants and transplanted them into a different pot? If you did, a frequent common mistake for succulents is to repot in a larger pot. They need to be in small pot, a shallow pot or saucer.

The soil is probably too wet for the plants.

Pics help if you know how to do that.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,956 times
Thanks guys I really don't think over watering is the issue I simply didn't water it since I planted it. I read it might be sunburn. I added a small bit of water and trimmed the really dead tips hopefully she will come back to good health on her own

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM

34 posts, read 24,771 times
Well, I am here to help you figure that out. Having worked in a garden nursery this is an easy one to solve.

What you do to check for root rot is to take plant out of pot. Yep. I know you just potted it up but you have to undo that and see. Sorry.

If the soil is wet, consider a smaller pot and also you need to add some more air to the soil mix. Sand, perlite, Turface, etc. Bagged cactus soils, are really "heavy". Using smaller pots combats this because it dries out quicker.

Also, When you repot Aloe or succulents, you do not water them right away, they need to settle. The roots are super susceptible to rot at that time.

Your aloe vera needs a lot of indirect sunny light as well. It can do direct, but that would be something you condition your plant to do. Right now you have to baby the plant. Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2018, 10:22 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
Don't give up yet. I transplanted my aloe vera from my old home to a new home. When I dug it up, I'm sure it had to weigh 50 pounds. I could barely carry it. I replanted it into a hole with compost and desert soil. I transplanted in the winter and the whole thing turned browned. I was sick. I left it alone and assumed that it had died. Meanwhile it was on a dripper being water once per week. When spring came, it bloomed so I knew it was still alive! I don't know if the brown leaves composted or regained their color because I hadn't been watching it. The current leaves are plump and it is rebounding well. I have my watering system to go off 4x's per day 6 days a week for six minutes to accommodate my other plants/trees (desert living). The emitter for the aloe is barely putting out water and it is planted in the ground. So don't over water and give it time to adjust to its new environment.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

I have a huge Aloe in a pot, and don't water it at all from about Oct through March. And the leaves stay plump, don't wrinkle a bit (I'd give it some water if it did wrinkle). But I live in the Seattle area.

Also, mine doesn't like direct sun at all. This time of year, he lives outside in the shade, and his color is a lovely blueish-grayish-green. If I lived in an area where Aloe could stay out all year, I'd probably try growing him in a part-sun situation, but they sunburn surprisingly easily. It sounds to me like yours might be sunburned as well as overwatered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden