U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 AM

775 posts, read 590,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is what I'd offer: the value of the land, the value of the water rights, something ( but not full price ) for the improvements, lIke irrigation equipment and fencing. The trees are just along for the ride. That way you are buying real estate.

I think that is a fair approach. Land + water rights + 25% of equipment cost on a stand alone basis. If the income and expenses are well documented, all equipment is included and trees are not distressed, 1.5-3x annual net income (not revenue) from the trees.

You also might get more value considering the land and water rights separately. Depending on how arid the area is and the potential for nearby urban development, the farmer might have been using $5 worth or water to grow $4 worth of fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 10:15 PM

646 posts, read 422,271 times
We went there. It was hot in that part of Colorado. Also not easily accessible but they might put the fruit on the trains which go by.

On the other hand the trees were in pretty good shape. Planted between 1997 and 2010.

The river is nice. Here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Ballpark  value for 15 year old fruit trees-resized.png  

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

20,313 posts, read 24,342,415 times
15 years, the apples are fine. Peach might be nearing the end of useful life. Peach trees are not long lived. I'm not sure about cherries in that location, cold winters are hard on them.

The thing about apples is that older varieties aren't worth much. New Apple orchards are going to dwarf trees espaliered to reduce labor cost at harvest.

That orchard looks beautuful, right there by the river. Is there a house with the property? Someone has to be there to take care of the trees, chase off the deer, and run the irrigation.

Have you looked into the flooding issue?

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

646 posts, read 422,271 times
no apples- just peaches -pears cherries. There always can be flooding but the land is about 10 ft higher than the river.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
Status: "You meet the nicest people on CD..." (set 28 days ago)

38,098 posts, read 43,632,333 times
If you're serious then have an agriculture appraiser give you the estimated price of the orchard/farm. I'm sure the owners have a pretty good idea already.

Old Today, 12:18 AM

15,773 posts, read 19,248,860 times
I'd also worry about flooding. You should be able to find out the flood zone for the land - 50 year flood, 100 year flood, etc., and find out when it's flooded in the past. You might be able to get info through insurance companies - would they insure it against flood damage.

Also, look into whether or not there are any projects in the works regarding the river, such as dams, etc.

The photo reminds me of eastern WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden