Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 02:15 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

has to be tomatoes and cucumbers . I just ate a few cucumbers out of the garden yesterday and the skins were so tender and those ones from the grocery store are so tough you cant chew them awful . fresh from the garden is the best way love em .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 02:19 PM

126,269 posts, read 19,039,201 times
For me tomatoes and red radishes, onions,garlic,chive.Cannot get any better,enjoying a slice of butter bread with warm tomato slices and chives.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:35 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,758 times
Nothing like plucking a fresh carrot outta the ground. YUM!

Old 07-01-2018, 04:40 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Good question.

Beets. Light soil to which I add bonemeal. Plant seeds water and you have beet greens. After that you get sweet tender beets. Easy, yummy, don't take up much room.
I LOVE beet greens! Wish you could buy them at the farm market without having to buy so many beets to make it worth it.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:44 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,693 times
We are currently eating peas, baby potatoes, lettuce, kale, Swiss chard. But, favorite vegetable is the tomato. We have 95 plants in the greenhouse of many varieties that I am anticipating. Oregon Spring will be the first to ripen as it is starting to turn. Black Prince, yellow pear, tumbling tom, yellow canary, etc. Yummers. We have to grow in greenhouse due to PNW dampness causes blossom end rot. We griw the smaller ones to freeze like blueberries on a cookie sheet then bag up for stews and soups in the winter.

I slso like raw green beans to munch on and lightly steamed.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I planted cucumbers in containers...they do quite well. Not too late to plant transplants!!
For now, mine are growing really well. (Fingers crossed.) One of these years I'll try them in containers.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 PM

812 posts, read 795,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I slso like raw green beans to munch on and lightly steamed.
Raw green beans are wonderful! I don't like them cooked (weird, I know), so the only time I eat green beans is raw from my container garden.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:15 PM

812 posts, read 795,084 times
I like growing green beans and cucumbers in the summer. I have to pick cukes as my favorite, because they have been such a challenge to grow here in our high desert/steppe climate. I've tried a bunch of different varieties over the years, but most came out somewhat bitter to downright icky, or just nothing. I almost gave up hope that I could grow a decent cucumber here.

I finally found that a variety of Beit Alpha cucumbers work here. I got a hybrid version called Socrates. If I give them shade cloth, they survive and produce delicious cukes that are not bitter at all! We just ate our first one of the season tonight in fact.

When the intense summer sun hits them, they wilt terribly and look like they are dying. That's why shade cloth is critical. I'm attaching a picture. If you look at the end where the sun is hitting, you'll see the wilt. They are one tough cukiee though!
Attached Thumbnails
Your favorite vegetable to grow in summer...?-cucumbers.jpg  

Old 07-01-2018, 11:53 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
This summer, in the small kitchen garden, we have a variety of leaf lettuces. We've been eating them for awhile - two greens and a red, it's time to replant since they're starting to bolt. There's a red curly kale that goes with the lettuce to make a nice salad.

We also have a brussel sprout, I've never grown one before, it will be interesting to see how fresh ones taste. It's getting really big and starting to make little brussel sprouts along the stem.

We also have beets this year. We're growing white sugar beets and they are really tasty and super sweet. The greens are lovely either raw in salads, cooked as greens and the beet roots are really sweet. We usually peel them, steam them and add a bit of butter. It's kinda like a vegetable candy.

There's some tomatoes, but no ripe 'maters yet, it's been a really wet spring and the garden was slow for awhile. There's also some Good Mother Stallard beans, we've been eating them as a green bean for awhile now, but now I'm letting some ripen on the vine to become soup beans.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:59 AM

74,131 posts, read 1,836,105 times
Tomatoes, green beans, garlic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden