U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 06:58 AM

33,953 posts, read 42,146,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
The best care for a Crepe Myrtle is to just ignore it. It'll bloom when it is da@@ good and ready.
So true. The loveliest crape myrtles here in GA are along the highways. No one prunes them or waters them or fertilizes them.
My only crape Myrtle has been moved from one place in the yard to another, and now, after two years it has settled in and is lovely. No “crape murder” pruning will ever happen in my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:51 AM

271 posts, read 346,060 times
This is true!
I planted a new crape myrtle 2 years ago, babied it to literal death. Gave it a second try with another myrtle because hey... I had a giant hole from digging out the corpse of the first one out, right? Had NO expectations with the second one after plopping it into the hole, watered it maybe once or twice when I felt like it, and this year it's vibrant and looking better than my established myrtles, although no buds yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
The best care for a Crepe Myrtle is to just ignore it. It'll bloom when it is da@@ good and ready.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 AM

5,799 posts, read 8,308,743 times
Oh, so I should ignore it? I still think I should give it some fertilizer and water occasionally. It's so very dry here. We have not had any rain to speak of for a long time. Hopefully the monsoon will start and I can stop watering everything. Thanks for all advice !

Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 2,052,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Oh, so I should ignore it? I still think I should give it some fertilizer and water occasionally. It's so very dry here. We have not had any rain to speak of for a long time. Hopefully the monsoon will start and I can stop watering everything. Thanks for all advice !
I definitely would water occasionally since it's dry. I don't know that you need to fertilize it since it's doing fine. You might consider something like Superthrive. I've used it on stressed plants before.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:40 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,586,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
My crape myrtles are all well-established, so I do nothing to them; they are all starting to bloom now in Zone Za. However, since you transplanted this one last year, I'd follow the advice from the Crape Myrtle Company - it's the only plant they sell. They recommend feeding 1-2 times monthly with a product containing trace minerals, such as Miracle Gro. They also recommend watering thoroughly 3-4 times weekly until the shrub is well-established. I generally water the first year after planting and then leave it alone, which is sufficient due to the high water table here. I did lose the sole crape myrtle transplant I had, but it was a bird "freebie", so I didn't mind so much. I have 20 others in the yard anyway. I'll sure miss them when I move to town, sigh.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 AM

68,682 posts, read 78,692,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I definitely would water occasionally since it's dry. I don't know that you need to fertilize it since it's doing fine. You might consider something like Superthrive. I've used it on stressed plants before.
I am not sure it really needs to be watered. We have 2, one on each side of our garage. Obviously, where we live we get quit a bit of water. Ours look like you know what. They get plenty of green leaves each year but almost no blooms. The best one we ever had were in NM; never did a thing to them except shape them to resemble a tree instead of a bush. In Texas we had a couple or really nice C.M and never did a thing to them.

I am about ready to take the two we have now, cut them back almost to the ground after this season and if they come back fine, if not I don't care. They couldn't be any worse than they are now.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:45 PM

3,136 posts, read 1,421,088 times
I have three that need to be moved. They are doing well but I want to have all my colors matching in my beds along back fence. All are red except these two, and they are smaller than the rest. My mistake in not getting the same ones last year.

Anyway, what is the best time to relocate them? I'm thinking after all the leaves drop, Dec or Jan?

Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM

3,746 posts, read 10,113,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not really. That's actually when it's not bad to transplant a treeish plant. If you cut it back then you'd still have new growth this year for flowering.

One of the things many do is called pollarding, cutting the crape back to nubs. Sprouts come out and flower. As a note, pollarding is also called "crape murder".
I am at the northern end of the range (southern Ohio). I previously lived further North (southern Michigan) and was super excited to see crepe myrtles in nurseries here with actual possibility of them surviving.

Ours have been in the ground about 8-ish years.

Every year they die back to nothing, but the roots send out enough juice for shoots and mid-summer blooms.

(seems akin to your "Pollarding" but I'm not doing it deliberately).

As the root systems have gotten more developed, the shoots and # of blooms have gotten larger. Last year the largest of the 3 had shoots close to 6ft tall.

This is what life is like with a crepe myrtle on the Northern fringe...

Old 07-02-2018, 02:10 PM

2,271 posts, read 1,470,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure it really needs to be watered. We have 2, one on each side of our garage. Obviously, where we live we get quit a bit of water. Ours look like you know what. They get plenty of green leaves each year but almost no blooms. The best one we ever had were in NM; never did a thing to them except shape them to resemble a tree instead of a bush. In Texas we had a couple or really nice C.M and never did a thing to them.

I am about ready to take the two we have now, cut them back almost to the ground after this season and if they come back fine, if not I don't care. They couldn't be any worse than they are now.
They will.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:36 PM

38,129 posts, read 36,926,545 times
Down here they don't bloom till July anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden