Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 PM

432 posts, read 3,658,027 times

Advertisements

Recently while cutting my grass my lawn mower began to sputter and shut off. Whenever i try to restart if (after priming), it will chug for a couple seconds and then shut back off.

I cleaned the air filter, topped off gas, and checked oil. All of those items are okay. What else could it be?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,916 times
You might have water in your gas. Change the spark plug.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
Have you been using the mower already this year?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,214 times
Check the air filter..either clean it or replace it.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Thanks for input so far. yes i've used the lawn mower about 10 times already this year (although pretty small yard), and cleaned the filter already.

how do i deal with the water/gas or spark plug issues?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,721,752 times
Not enough detail to make a diagnosis, but it may not be either the fuel or the spark plug.

If the grass is wet it will stick in a thick blanket to the underside of the mower deck. When the grass clippings get deep and gummy enough, the mower blade[s] cannot freely rotate and bind up in the deep mush of grass. The motor doesn't have enough power to keep the blades rotating in the grass sludge--then the mower balks, sputters, and dies.

Turn the mower on its side and look underneath to see if there is a thick mushy layer of grass clogging the deck. If there is, scrape that grass off with your hands or a trowel or something. Get all of the grass out. Then take the mower to a hard vegetation-free surface like a sidewalk or drive way and start the mower up again. Should run.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
I will assume here that your lawn mower is a 4-cycle, i.e., you don't mix oil with your gas. If so, you may have some trash (leaf/grass parts) that got into the gas tank and is finding its way to the needle/seat inside the carburetor bowl. If a piece of trash is preventing the needle valve from closing all the way the bowl will flood and flood your engine.

However, first I would check the more obvious things, e.g. the spark plug gap and cleanliness (sometime spark plugs simply are bad even when new or they go bad), make sure you are getting a good spark at the plug wire end and make sure gasoline is actually getting to the carburetor. You should be able to check fuel flow by simply removing the gas hose at the carburetor. Make sure you do this away from anything that could ignite any gasoline that may run out.

If the spark plug, the spark and the fuel flow check out, a dirty carburetor is suspect. I would then remove the carburetor bowl (making sure you don't lose the tiny needle that usually just hangs from the float by a very small wire hanger) and spray the bowl area and the needle area with carburetor cleaner. Also be careful not to tear your bowl gasket or you will have to replace it. After cleaning the bowl and seat area, reassemble everything in reverse order and try to start it.

Four cycle lawn mowers are usually pretty simple in that, if you have sufficient spark, fuel and compression, it will run. If your lawn mower is a 2-cycle (oil and gas are mixed), a dirty carburetor is almost always suspect.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:24 AM

9,719 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Mine did that last year, and I was taught by husband how to change the spark plug and clean the carburetor. That did the trick for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:56 PM

I replaced the spark plug and that didn't change anything. Basically, if i prime it, it will chug for a few seconds until it burns up the primed gas. If i don't prime it, it won't crank at all.

Does that narrow it down at all?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
This probably isn't it and might sound dumb, but it might be flooded. I only say as something similar happened to me with a leaf blower. I primed it would work for a sec....didn't prime and it wouldn't start either - until I tried it more than a few times. Then the flooding sort of worked itself out, so to speak (I also put the gas intake on low). FWIW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden