U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,752,309 times

Advertisements

Due to a series of unfortunate events, a rodent or two, and poor planning on my part, My garden is in a sorry state.

I want to start version 2.0 soon.

I have some pepper seeds, tomato seeds, and some tomato plants that I want to use suckers from to start new plants. I'm in Zone 8.

Everything I read involves starting seeds indoors in the late winter. Can I start the Tomatoes and Pepper seeds Outside in old flats I have? Or do they need to be indoors? I was thinking under my porch umbrella out of the worst of the NC sun.

Regarding planting the suckers, is it better to start them in a jar of water? Or go right to a pot with sterile soil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 2,213,621 times
You'll be too late for this season, starting seeds now....

as you said, you read to start seeds indoors in late winter...
Just buy some transplants this year and plan to start seeds
indoors next winter.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You'll be too late for this season, starting seeds now....

as you said, you read to start seeds indoors in late winter...
Just buy some transplants this year and plan to start seeds
indoors next winter.
Even having until roughly speaking, Halloween before the first frost? Dang.

What about the suckers?

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

156 posts, read 225,832 times
Suckers can be done either way. I've just stuck them in dirt and they've been good. If the weather is warm enough to grow tomato seeds, just plant them outside where you're going to grow them, the only reason you start them inside is because of the cold. Maybe you'll get tomatoes by halloween. Starting from suckers is going to be much faster.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

5,164 posts, read 3,048,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Even having until roughly speaking, Halloween before the first frost? Dang.
We don't have frost here, so tomato (and pepper) plants will survive all year, but I find they just stop producing by late October. Either the sun angle drops too low, or there aren't enough hours of light, or something. The plants still look okay and I always leave them in a while hoping to get more fruit, but it's a case of severely diminishing returns.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

31,026 posts, read 37,719,893 times
I try and get some plants. You could try to start them. First frost at Halloween in NC?

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I try and get some plants. You could try to start them. First frost at Halloween in NC?
October 27th. So near enough.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,978,030 times
No harm trying if that's what you've got your heart set on. You might rethink your setup before investing much money on established plants. That said,lots of deep discounts on veggie plants now!

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,529,637 times

Growing seedlings from a slice of tomato....youtube.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old Today, 02:58 AM

6,299 posts, read 1,885,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We don't have frost here, so tomato (and pepper) plants will survive all year, but I find they just stop producing by late October. Either the sun angle drops too low, or there aren't enough hours of light, or something. The plants still look okay and I always leave them in a while hoping to get more fruit, but it's a case of severely diminishing returns.

You need to be careful about eating tomatoes that ripen in the fall. They can develop toxic mold much easier, than during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or