U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 AM
 
Location: In the Pearl of the Purchase, Ky
6,965 posts, read 12,378,519 times
Reputation: 29152

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthouse View Post
My parents got a feeder that when a squirrel gets on it,it closes (I guess the weight from them triggers it to close)

I like Squirrels also so I put some food on the ground in a bowl and usally before long its gone......
My parents had one of those but we must have light weight squirrels around here. They could sit on it and eat all they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,148 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Reputation: 9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My parents had one of those but we must have light weight squirrels around here. They could sit on it and eat all they want.

Are you talking about the $85 dollar "squirrel proof" feeders that our squirrels love to eat at! Many of the squirrels are smart enough to pull off the springs on the side. Then they simply hold onto the top and eat out the side. It is not only that; it is everybody else that loves to eat: Marie's Raccoons. We ended up giving up feeding the whole menagerie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM
 
1,334 posts, read 636,060 times
Reputation: 5724
We buy seed mixes and suet that feed everyone, from blue jays to cardinals to wood peckers to squirrels. And because it's been so dry again, the deer show up at night to nibble on plants and drink water from the bird baths. All are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
22,709 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Reputation: 27762
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Are you talking about the $85 dollar "squirrel proof" feeders that our squirrels love to eat at! Many of the squirrels are smart enough to pull off the springs on the side. Then they simply hold onto the top and eat out the side. It is not only that; it is everybody else that loves to eat: Marie's Raccoons. We ended up giving up feeding the whole menagerie!
I've only had a humming bird feeder. My older brother had so many problems with squirrels that I didn't even try.

I used to have a small pond with a few fish. The raccoons put an end to that. Raccoons make some weird noises. I couldn't figure what it was for a few days. I thought there was a second Martian landing. My father was around for the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,148 posts, read 10,574,410 times
Reputation: 9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've only had a humming bird feeder. My older brother had so many problems with squirrels that I didn't even try.

I used to have a small pond with a few fish. The raccoons put an end to that. Raccoons make some weird noises. I couldn't figure what it was for a few days. I thought there was a second Martian landing. My father was around for the first one.

We still have problems with squirrels because of our ducks. Actually we had five at the beginning of the summer and now we only have two left; raccoons have killed three before we found out how they got into their cage at night. We have always protected out ducks from nocturnal visitors; but we overlooked one opening.

The ducks need duck food and squirrels will always get in to help themselves. Ducks are sloppy eaters and always knock food out of their feeders (not that it makes a difference). Once our last two ducks die; we are done with the feeding business. We will let the little tree rats find another free meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top