Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:12 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times

Advertisements

Good point above ^. Just about every other kind of animal eats birds, even deer eat birds. Attracting birds to a feeder is setting up the unsuspecting hapless birds as live bait to attract all other predators in the neighbourhood. Rats, mice, squirrels, snakes, big lizards, dogs, cats, raccoons, possums, skunks, weasels, foxes, coyotes, deer, bears, crows, hawks, owls - they all eat birds and they're all keeping an eye on the bird feeders to try to score a few easy pickings of live bait birds to chow down on.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
That's pretty funny

Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
I just sit on the end of the bed and lee Harvey them with a 22

Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good point above ^. Just about every other kind of animal eats birds, even deer eat birds. Attracting birds to a feeder is setting up the unsuspecting hapless birds as live bait to attract all other predators in the neighbourhood. Rats, mice, squirrels, snakes, big lizards, dogs, cats, raccoons, possums, skunks, weasels, foxes, coyotes, deer, bears, crows, hawks, owls - they all eat birds and they're all keeping an eye on the bird feeders to try to score a few easy pickings of live bait birds to chow down on.

You are right about attracting predators to a central location. The cats can be relentless and many 'animal lovers' will harbor every stray cat in the neighborhood - then let them outside to munch on the birds at their bird feeders or just feed the feral cats as well as the birds (a losing combination for the birds). If a hunter would shoot an endangered bird there would be steep fines and maybe jail time. However society turns a blind eye to what animal lovers do with birdseed and cat food.

Here is an UK article about how half the birdseed is fed to their squirrels: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rd-seed-a-year. One thing that is also overlooked is nature as many feed 'their' birds and squirrels. Nature abhors a vacuum. If you bring squirrels into your backyard and feed them; they will multiply. Of course many humans do not see that as a problem and simply put out more birdseed - but then they have a bigger problem. Their neighbors also share this problem which makes it difficult to garden.

More squirrels mean a greater chance of Lyme disease: https://www.bayarealyme.org/about-ly...-lyme-disease/. Who wants a life altering disease just feet from their home?

Even if bird feeders are totally squirrel proof; squirrels still reap some of the benefits. Birdseed still get's knocked to the ground and the squirrels still hang around waiting and testing the squirrel safeguards. Unless you are feeding with the birdseeds squirrels don't eat; you will still have problems.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 AM

727 posts, read 151,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352
.....So yes, squirrels are cute, and fun to have around just like birds, as they are otherwise harmless, and it's fun to watch them interact with each other, but they can be pests also.
Its sad most wildlife is scared of humans.... I think it would be beautiful if you could pet Squirrels,etc......... I love Nature and its kinda sad seeing them run away when you go near them but I guess its understandable....

Old 07-11-2018, 06:43 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
"I think it would be beautiful if you could pet Squirrels" I was lucky enough to have one as a pet after he befriended us as a very young pup, raised him with a bottle and goats milk. He hung around for a year, came morning and night for his ration of pecans...until the neighbor shot him. Had more fun and got more enjoyment with him than any dog I've ever had.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Even in nature, some bad habits interfere. Some squirrels pulled wires and nested in my car engine during the winter. It was not fun or 'cute' to replace the wirs and clean out the nest spots in the engine.

There are plenty of oak trees ..so no I don't make them dependent on food by feeding them.

I'm actually concerned as this is the first year that no butterflies have been near the garden. Just as bees are scarce and needed in plant life...so too are butterflies...
Plant some milkweed and you will have monarch butterflies.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Hadn't thought of it that way, but you're right. A friend had a squirrel feeder in her yard. Hawks would sit and wait for them to show up, and no more Mr. Squirrel. She took it down because she felt like she was 'leading them to the slaughter.'

I like to feed the squirrels and birds, but I didn't use a feeder, just because it was more fun that way to me. I would buy a big bag of unsalted peanuts and toss them. Squirrels of course will take a whole peanut away (some squirrels will take two at a time). Towhees will take a whole peanut. For smaller birds such as chickadees you have to break open the peanut and toss them a half-kernel.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:49 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
I don't dislike squirrels. I simply like birds better. And I don't like them eating the expensive seed I buy for the birds. But they are welcome in my yard and get plenty to eat from what the birds spill out on the ground. Some seed to be extra picky and pull a seed out and then spit it out. I think they all are getting along fine. My cats are inside only so they like watching the action too. Everybody is good.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I never understood why people think it's so great to feed birds that are perfectly capable of feeding themselves without someone putting food out for them, and then act like any other animal looking for food is somehow a nuisance and a squatter. Squirrels and other animals like to eat as much as birds do.

I don't like the squirrels because they will dig through the feeder looking for the sunflower seeds. They can empty a feeder pretty quickly.

I have had good luck with feeders like these.
https://www.wbu.com/products/squirrel-proof/

I have watched the squirrels try many ways to get to the seed, but they almost always fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden