U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 04:21 PM

36,414 posts, read 41,176,910 times

Advertisements

Never saw one last this long. Usually they are propelled into my window if they are stupid enough to hold on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM

6,862 posts, read 12,265,539 times
My dad put his bird house feeders on top of a 4 X 4 post. He had a regular feeder and a finch feeder. I added a suet cake holder. And the squirrels can't get to it. Daddy wrapped the post in thin sheets of tin, with the top sheet overlapping the bottom. That way the critters can't jump up and grab the top of the bottom and work their way up. They still get a good meal because of messy birds knocking so much on the ground. lol

Old 07-09-2018, 07:07 PM

1,255 posts, read 595,617 times
I think that's kind of mean, but I'm a squirrel fan.

We built a bird feeder that squirrels can't get into...it's a tall pole with a very wide metal base at the top of the pole, and the feeder sits on top of the metal base. It's high enough off the ground and far enough from trees that squirrels can't jump onto it.

But I like to feed the squirrels at the other feeders. They're as much fun to watch as the birds.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:21 PM

12,603 posts, read 10,314,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My dad put his bird house feeders on top of a 4 X 4 post. He had a regular feeder and a finch feeder. I added a suet cake holder. And the squirrels can't get to it. Daddy wrapped the post in thin sheets of tin, with the top sheet overlapping the bottom. That way the critters can't jump up and grab the top of the bottom and work their way up. They still get a good meal because of messy birds knocking so much on the ground. lol
With the spinning bird feeder there was seed that was getting knocked out. Squirrels are no dummies; there are probably a few boss squirrels on the ground that ordered the one to take the trip! Or the squirrels are doing the triple dare you thing just so the smart ones can eat. Squirrels will constantly test any system and, in the end, they will win. The batteries will go dead or a raccoon will break the mechanism or a bear will turn everything into scrap.

Just remember, while many think this is a cute video of how we are so much smarter than these little tree rats; they will win in the end. Persistence always beats the great brain!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:56 PM

727 posts, read 61,349 times
My parents got a feeder that when a squirrel gets on it,it closes (I guess the weight from them triggers it to close)

I like Squirrels also so I put some food on the ground in a bowl and usally before long its gone......

Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 PM

5,808 posts, read 5,661,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
With the spinning bird feeder there was seed that was getting knocked out. Squirrels are no dummies; there are probably a few boss squirrels on the ground that ordered the one to take the trip! Or the squirrels are doing the triple dare you thing just so the smart ones can eat. Squirrels will constantly test any system and, in the end, they will win. The batteries will go dead or a raccoon will break the mechanism or a bear will turn everything into scrap.

Just remember, while many think this is a cute video of how we are so much smarter than these little tree rats; they will win in the end. Persistence always beats the great brain!

I agree 100% and the second video that followed proves it. The squirrels are learning how to trick the system. The video that followed immediately after the above one is done in very slow motion. It shows a grey squirrel hanging on and maneuvering the tilt of it so that there is a constant spray of seeds spilling out of the holes as it spins. The slow motion is slow enough you can see the way the squirrel is adjusting and balancing his body dynamic to adjust the spin and tilt of the feeder to increase flow of seeds and he is very carefully watching and judging the flow of seeds that are spinning out of the feeder. Then he lets go, immediately adjusts his body in mid air so he'll land on his feet and then drops to the ground.

Pretty darned clever tactics if you ask me.

Slow motion squirrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A-7g-fl3g8

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-09-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 09:47 PM

11,150 posts, read 7,247,113 times
I made a squirrel proof feeder.
3/8 inch threaded rod, 8 ft long; bicycle wheel; feeder; post.

The rod works as the axle for my wheel. So I thread the axle into my post. Then place the wheel 1 foot from the post and set up the wheel bearings just like I was going to ride it. Then hang the feeder on the end.

The squirrels have given up. They went the obvious route - up the post out the rod and over the wheel which rotated and dumped most of them off. Some hung on for dear life but could not climb up the spokes; every time they tried the wheel just dumped them again.
A few of them sat for a long time just staring through those spokes at my bird food. So near, yet......

Old 07-10-2018, 05:10 AM

16,292 posts, read 12,481,235 times
Oh really, everybody?

Well we buy large bags of peanuts and sacks of quality bird seed and also sacks of black oil sunflower seed and more and our birds AND squirrels get their bellies full every single day of the week. They are welcome here. All sorts of creatures come to my home. The lizards (Knight anoles, smaller anoles, curlytails, and a very awesome and much larger Green Iguana) actually come to us for feeding as well as forage in our yard to eat all they wish. Water is provided for all and it is changed very frequently, as well as having the water bowls and clam shells cleaned well and filled with water.
I think people that don't like the animals are stupid...and, yes, I am very well educated on wildlife.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 AM

12,971 posts, read 6,861,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I think that's kind of mean, but I'm a squirrel fan.

We built a bird feeder that squirrels can't get into...it's a tall pole with a very wide metal base at the top of the pole, and the feeder sits on top of the metal base. It's high enough off the ground and far enough from trees that squirrels can't jump onto it.

But I like to feed the squirrels at the other feeders. They're as much fun to watch as the birds.
Agree - they each just need their own stuff. I've found that many of the birds I like will go for safflower seeds but the squirrels and grackles don't like those. Squirrels get peanuts in tubes they can get into but grackles only get the peanuts the squirrels have pulled out but picked over. Seems to work okay.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:59 AM

2,056 posts, read 2,638,322 times
"I made a squirrel proof feeder. 3/8 inch threaded rod, 8 ft long; bicycle wheel; feeder; post." Picture ?

It's got to be cheaper then the $130 cost of the one in the first video, albeit not as entertaining! I too feed birds and squirrels.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden