U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 PM

1,363 posts, read 567,075 times

Advertisements

Bought these for potted planter for the first time. Never seen them before. Lost the name tag.
Search engines can't find definitive answer.
Each branch off of main stem holds a compact ball of tiny petals - dark magenta, royal purple, light pink with a tinge of yellow and bright pink. Leaves appear to be ovaries because it appears the style and stigma develop from the tip of the ovary and the petals sprout up all around it just above the sepals. Grows 8 -10 inches in climate zone 4a.

What is name of this? One flower shop says they are of Alelia family. Tried googling that name but engine only comes up with Amelia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

38,135 posts, read 43,719,121 times
That photo is not clear enough for me to tell with precision. It would nice if it could be more clear and blown up. But try this below.
Abelia? Achillea? Or try this web site and match your plant. https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants...e=USDA-zone-4a

To me it looks like it could be a Rhododendron.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,467,992 times
Looks to me like it could be a dwarf double blooming azalea. It also looks a little bit like double blooming impatiens. It's hard to tell in that picture because it's not close enough and doesn't show any distinct features.

It may be easier to identify if you can post more close up pictures that shows the features each of a single blossom, a cluster of blossoms, and a mature leaf.

Does each individual flower have 5 petals or is each flower a cluster of many frilly petals? Are the leaves a smooth, glossy dark green on top and a matte textured lighter green on the underside?

Old Today, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Bought these for potted planter for the first time. Never seen them before. Lost the name tag.
Search engines can't find definitive answer.
Each branch off of main stem holds a compact ball of petals - dark magenta, royal purple, light pink with a tinge of yellow and bright pink. Grows 8 -10 inches in climate zone 4a.
What is name of this? One flower shop says they are of Alelia family. Tried googling that name but engine only comes up with Amelia.
example:

Picture 1

example:

Picture 2

example:

Picture 3

bragging:

Picture 4

bragging:

Picture 5

example:

Picture 6

bragging:

Picture 7
Attached Thumbnails
Identify flowering bedding plant-100_0600.jpg  

Old Today, 11:10 AM

5,514 posts, read 5,467,992 times
Only one of that last group of pictures shows up, (picture taken in 2007, what's up with that? I thought you said you just bought this plant for the first time?) but it's enough to help narrow down the field. The individual flowers have either 4 or 5 petals each, (it's hard to tell in that picture) they are growing tightly but progressively on spikes (not as clusters). The foliage is plump and pliable, the leaves and stems are light green on all sides and very fuzzy all over with downy white hairs, so it is a soft, tender, juicy plant, not a hardy woody plant. That one is not a double blooming plant and not any kind of rhododendron or azalea or impatiens.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of stocks? See pictures of stocks: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...wers&FORM=IGRE

Upon looking a little further I found this below. Kitty, what gives? The first picture you posted is the exact same picture as this picture of stocks below, which is from a website online: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/garden...comment-468814

Last edited by Zoisite; Today at 11:29 AM..

Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Only one of that last group of pictures shows up, (picture taken in 2007, what's up with that? I thought you said you just bought this plant for the first time?) but it's enough to help narrow down the field. The individual flowers have either 4 or 5 petals each, (it's hard to tell in that picture) they are growing tightly but progressively on spikes (not as clusters). The foliage is plump and pliable, the leaves and stems are light green on all sides and very fuzzy all over with downy white hairs, so it is a soft, tender, juicy plant, not a hardy woody plant. That one is not a double blooming plant and not any kind of rhododendron or azalea or impatiens.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of stocks? See pictures of stocks: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...wers&FORM=IGRE

Upon looking a little further I found this below. Kitty, what gives? The first picture you posted is the exact same picture as this picture of stocks below, which is from a website online: Top 10 Fragrant Flowers | Flower Gardening | Birds & Blooms

Yes stock flower. Eureka. Thanks a million.

I took the photos this morning

I guess it is evident I am a dodo with photos.

The attached thumbnail was from the website birdsandblooms. i tried to upload the other pictures in the same way but couldn't find out why upload did not succeed.

Last edited by kitty61; Today at 12:12 PM.. Reason: wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or